Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates (integration question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates in integration and when to use a variable or a constant for the cross sections. It also mentions that surfaces require two parameters while curves only require one.
Miike012
There has been a few times when I switch from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates to integrate I would get the wrong because I used the wrong substitution.
For instance I would use x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ) where r and θ are variable when I was suppose to leave r as a constant.

Question: correct me if I am wrong, I should use x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ where r is variable if the cross section parallel to my region of integration are circles whose radius are not constant. For example: a cone.

And I would choose r to be the appropriate constant if the cross sections are circles with constant radius for example the surface x^2 + y^2 = 16 ... a cylinder.

Is there anything else I should know?

Physics news on Phys.org
A surface requires two parameters while curve requires only 1. For example, to describe the unit circle ##x^2+y^2=1## and its interior you could use ##x=r\cos\theta,\, y=r\sin\theta## where ##r## varies from ##0## to ##1## and ##\theta## varies from ##0## to ##2\pi##. If you just set ##r=1## then you just get the curve enclosing the area. If you set ##\theta = \pi/4## and let ##r## vary you get the ##45^\circ## line.

Related to Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates (integration question)

1. What is the formula for converting Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for converting from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) is:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
z = z

2. How do I integrate a function in Cartesian coordinates using cylindrical coordinates?

To integrate a function in Cartesian coordinates using cylindrical coordinates, you need to use the following formula:
∫∫∫ f(x, y, z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ, z) r dz dr dθ

3. Can I convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates. You need to use the following formula:
∫∫ f(x, y) dA = ∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ) r dr dθ

4. How do I know if I should use Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates for a specific problem?

You should use Cartesian coordinates when the problem involves a rectangular region or when the function is expressed in terms of x, y, and z. You should use cylindrical coordinates when the problem involves a circular or cylindrical region or when the function is expressed in terms of r, θ, and z.

5. Can I convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates. You need to use the following formula:
∫∫∫ f(x, y, z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r cos θ, r sin θ, z) r dz dr dθ