Cylindrical coordinates -Curvilinear

chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Why are the coordinates seemingly used when the symmetry is around ##z## axis? Any particular reason why not ##x## or ##y##. In transforming from Cartesian to cylindrical form; I can see that ##z## is not considered when determining ##r##.
Can we also use ##x## and ##z## assuming that the symmetry is about ##y##? Sorry using phone to type ...will put this into context later. I hope my query is clear enough.
Why are the coordinates seemingly used when the symmetry is around ##z## axis? Any particular reason why not ##x## or ##y##. In transforming from Cartesian to cylindrical form; I can see that ##z## is not considered when determining ##r##.
Can we also use ##x## and ##z## assuming that the symmetry is about ##y##? Sorry using phone to type ...will put this into context later. I hope my query is clear enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
The directions of the cartesian axes in space are not absolute, but can be chosen to fit the geometry of the particular problem; by convention in axisymmetric geometries the z-axis is placed on the axis of symmetry, giving an obvious extension of plane polar coordinates [itex](x,y) = (r \cos \theta, r \sin \theta)[/itex].

It is clearly possible to set [tex]\begin{split}
x &= w \\
y &= u \cos v \\
z &= u \sin v\end{split}
[/tex] or [tex]\begin{split}
x &= u \sin v \\
y &= w \\
z &= u \cos v \end{split}[/tex] if you want.

• Informative
Likes chwala