Can You Remove a Virus If Your Antivirus Software Fails?

• Thread starter scorpa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, when dealing with a virus, seeking help is crucial. It is important to first identify the type of virus and then choose the appropriate method of removal. This can include running a thorough antivirus scan, using safe mode to uninstall the virus, or seeking assistance from a professional. It is also important to regularly update antivirus software and practice safe browsing habits to prevent future infections.
Evo said:
:frown: I"m afraid it's time for an excorcism.

{dips mouse in Holy water} "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you"

Computer science news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
{dips mouse in Holy water} "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you" "the power of PF compels you"
:smile: :smile: Heh.

Well I went to future shop and they said it would be 4 days. Only problem is that I need my computer pretty much everyday with assignments and whatnot. I guess I'll finish the assignments I'm working on now, then take it back wednesday, and then I guess I'll have to try to use the university computers for everything I need. This could get interesting.

scorpa said:
Well I went to future shop and they said it would be 4 days. Only problem is that I need my computer pretty much everyday with assignments and whatnot. I guess I'll finish the assignments I'm working on now, then take it back wednesday, and then I guess I'll have to try to use the university computers for everything I need. This could get interesting.

Is there any place you can get a "loaner" computer/laptop while waiting for the repairs? And, does your school have a helpdesk that might be able to help you rid it faster than that? Maybe if you bring it to them, someone there can work with you then and there? Usually, they will do that out of self-preservation of their own computers/network to keep you from spreading viruses, worms, etc to their computers.

3dge said:
My sister got this and it took me a few hours, to try and work out how to get rid of it... :frown: but I did :biggrin:
Anyway, she uses spybot S&D, which would show there was a problem, but couldn't fix it. I also found that there wasn't much help around on the internet, so I made my own page:

Try: http://3dge.dyndns.org"

The only problem is, this is quite complicated and is best done by an advanced user. You have to delete files from parts of the system that windows doesn't easily let you get too, because you can mess up your computer if you play with them...

Also, I haven't finished writing it out properly... :rolleyes: ...and I have exams tomorrow :(

Thanks for that! I'm a bit hesitant to try it because I am not exactly a computer whiz...haha. I'm afraid I will do damage to my computer. I will try to summon some bravery and try it a little later maybe.Do you know exactly what this virus is doing to my computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Is there any place you can get a "loaner" computer/laptop while waiting for the repairs? And, does your school have a helpdesk that might be able to help you rid it faster than that? Maybe if you bring it to them, someone there can work with you then and there? Usually, they will do that out of self-preservation of their own computers/network to keep you from spreading viruses, worms, etc to their computers.

I never thought of that, maybe there is somewhere at school I can take it. If not I may have to look into the loaner laptops. I'm going to go check into it right now.

scorpa said:
Thanks for that! I'm a bit hesitant to try it because I am not exactly a computer whiz...haha. I'm afraid I will do damage to my computer. I will try to summon some bravery and try it a little later maybe.Do you know exactly what this virus is doing to my computer?
I'd be hesitant doing anything without first knowing what it is you're trying to remove, you could just make things even worse.

scorpa said:
Do you know exactly what this virus is doing to my computer?
Could your PC be sending out IM's with the virus!?

If your computer is functioning, then it hasn't trashed the OS. Have you shutdown and startup the PC, or done a restart? If you do, you should startup in 'safe mode', usually by holding down the F8 key in the beginning of the startup process, then selecting the startup option.

One thing you could do is search on files modified on the date (and after) to see what files have been modified. That might give you an idea about the virus.

Just checking around, I found this recommendation -
Start up in safe mode and uninstall Norton. Restart normally and install AVG, scan and heal/Virus Vault any infected files. Restart in safe mode and uninstall MSN. Restart normally and install Yahoo Messenger.

Maybe one of your friends or someone in the computer science or university IT department could assist. University IT departments really should have a program to help students avoid virus and other malware.

The other possibility is to get a scan from bitdefender

Disable your antivirus program and go here http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html and run an online scan with BitDefender (you will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan). When the ActiveX Control has loaded, click on "Click here to scan" and grab a coffee.
The same problem is discussed here, but the remedy seems awfully complicated.

Yes my computer has sent out a few IM's with the virus in it, luckily I had sent an email to everyone on my contact list telling them not to open it. Still trying to find someone at the university that can maybe help me with it. Unfortunately none of my friends can help, they are all as computer illiterate as I am.

I finally got round to finishing this, have another look. Hopefully it'll explain everything you need to help you and your friends:

http://3dge.dyndns.org/"

Oh, as you asked what the virus is doing. There is a file added to the startups list which (when windows starts) runs the virus and does other malicious stuff, like stopping 'msconfig' from opening.
I think the actual program is just a piece of adware that changes your homepage and adds icons to your desktop, but considering how annoying it is to get rid of it could be spyware.

Has anyone ever tried Grisoft anti-virus software?
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

They have free downloads here:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-trials/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

It always amazes me that there are still people out there using the internet without full protection.

XP has a firewall, it's not the most effective but it does stop incoming attacks for free.
MS Defender, again maybe not the best but it is free and I have had no Ad-ware since running it. I would also recommend ADAWARE again its free.
AVG by Grisoft is just a sgood as Norton or Symantec but better as its free.

I don't buy anti-virus software but have been unprotected. I have through my own stupidity had virus infections which are always detected as they come in, but not always stopped.

What the virus does is loads itself into an early restore point so that every time you start you computer it reinstalls itself into memory and often shuts down you anti-virus and firewall. To clear it switch off system restore, run the virus scan and it should be detected, then switch back on your system restore. You loose all your restore points but you also loose the virus.

Panda said:
It always amazes me that there are still people out there using the internet without full protection.

I don't buy anti-virus software but have been unprotected. I have through my own stupidity had virus infections which are always detected as they come in, but not always stopped.

And how do you reconcile those two statements?