Can Independence Simplify Calculating Expectation Values in Probability?

In summary: I did this integral and got \frac{1}{2}a^{2} which doesn't equal \overline{x}.\overline{y} as I am trying to prove. The double integral will always eliminate the variables x and y from the equation. But \overline{x}.\overline{y} has the variables in it.How do I overcome this?I'm not sure if you have solved the problem to your satisfaction, but here is my attempt at a solution using expectations:By the definition of expectation value, we have[tex] \overline{x} = \int_0^a xf(x,y)dx = \int_0^a x6a^{-5}xy^
KayDee01

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x,y)=6a^{-5}xy^{2}[/itex] [itex]0≤x≤a[/itex] and [itex]0≤y≤a[/itex], [itex]0[/itex] elsewhere

Show that [itex]\overline{xy}=\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\overline{x}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.f(x)dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}{x.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=6a^{-5}\int^{a}_{0}{x^{2}y^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=6a^{-5}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{3}a^{3}y^{2}[/itex]
[itex]=2a^{-2}y^{2}[/itex]

Following the same process I get [itex]\overline{y}=\frac{3}{2}a^{-1}x^{2}[/itex]

But when it comes to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] I'm not really sure how to approach it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found correcly x¯. Do the same for y and xy and complete your proof. What is your problem?

LeonhardEu said:
You found correcly x¯. Do the same for y and xy and complete your proof. What is your problem?

Sorry, I submitted the question to early and had to add the rest of the problem. I'm not sure what the [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] integral should look like.

I tried [itex]\overline{xy}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.y.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{x.y.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{6a^{-5}x^{2}y^{3}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{1}{2}a^{2}=/=\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

I tried

[itex]\overline{xy}=\int^{∞}_{-∞}{x.y.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{x.y.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}{6a^{-5}x^{2}y^{3}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{1}{2}a^{2}[/itex]
which does not equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

Your y¯ has a minor arithmetical mistake but you can find it. And for your major problem: d(xy) = ydx + xdy. Tell me when you have this ;)

Edit: It's not a double integral. It is one dimensional.

I see me mistake with [itex]\overline{y}[/itex], the x shouldn't be squared right?

If d(x,y)=xdy+ydx. Surely I end up with [itex]\int{xy.f(x,y)d(xy)}=\int{x^{2}y.f(x,y)dy}+\int{xy^{2}.f(x,y)dx}[/itex]
And I still can't get that to equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

This is an expected value problem? Try evaluating
[tex]
\int_0^a \int_0^a xy f(x,y) \, dx dy
[/tex]

again. This
"And for your major problem: d(xy) = ydx + xdy."
has nothing to do with the problem.

The first thing you need to do is define your terms! Your "[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]" is "the mean value of x for fixed y" and for "[itex]\overline{y}[/itex]" is "the mean value of y for fixed x". Since the first is a function of y and the second a function of x, their product can't possibly be equal to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] which is a number.

statdad said:
This is an expected value problem? Try evaluating
[tex]
\int_0^a \int_0^a xy f(x,y) \, dx dy
[/tex]

again. This
"And for your major problem: d(xy) = ydx + xdy."
has nothing to do with the problem.

I did this integral and got [itex]\frac{1}{2}a^{2}[/itex] which doesn't equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] as I am trying to prove. The double integral will always eliminate the variables x and y from the equation. But [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] has the variables in it.

How do I overcome this?

KayDee01 said:
I did this integral and got [itex]\frac{1}{2}a^{2}[/itex] which doesn't equal [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] as I am trying to prove. The double integral will always eliminate the variables x and y from the equation. But [itex]\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex] has the variables in it.

How do I overcome this?
Your ##\overline{xy}## is correct, so your error is in evaluating ##\overline{x}## and ##\overline{y}##. An expectation calculation should return a number.

Yes, which means that either your definitions (of [itex]\overline{x}[/itex], [itex]\overline{y}[/itex], and/or [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] are wrong or [itex]\overline{x}\overline{y}[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex].

You might want to consider the possibility that the correct definition of [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] for any function u, of x and y, is [itex]\int\int u f(x,y)dydx[/itex] so that, in particular, [itex]\overline{x}= \int_0^a\int_0^a x f(x,y)dydx[/itex], NOT "[itex]\int_0^a xf(x,y)dx[/itex]".

(You also posted this under "precalculus homework". Do not do that. Double posting can get you banned.)

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, which means that either your definitions (of [itex]\overline{x}[/itex], [itex]\overline{y}[/itex], and/or [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] are wrong or [itex]\overline{x}\overline{y}[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex].

You might want to consider the possibility that the correct definition of [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] for any function u, of x and y, is [itex]\int\int u f(x,y)dydx[/itex] so that, in particular, [itex]\overline{x}= \int_0^a\int_0^a x f(x,y)dydx[/itex], NOT "[itex]\int_0^a xf(x,y)dx[/itex]".

(You also posted this under "precalculus homework". Do not do that. Double posting can get you banned.)

Using that definition of [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] I got them to equal one another :) Problem solved!
And thanks for the warning about double posting, I won't be doing that again.

The two threads have been merged. As HallsOfIvy noted, please post a question only once. If we think it really belongs in a different forum, we'll move it.

KayDee01 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x,y)=6a^{-5}xy^{2}[/itex] [itex]0≤x≤a[/itex] and [itex]0≤y≤a[/itex], [itex]0[/itex] elsewhere

Show that [itex]\overline{xy}=\overline{x}.\overline{y}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]=\int^{a}_{0}{x.6a^{-5}xy^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=6a^{-5}\int^{a}_{0}{x^{2}y^{2}dx}[/itex]
[itex]=6a^{-5}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{3}a^{3}y^{2}[/itex]
[itex]=2a^{-2}y^{2}[/itex]

Following the same process I get [itex]\overline{y}=\frac{3}{2}a^{-1}x^{2}[/itex]

But when it comes to [itex]\overline{xy}[/itex] I'm not really sure how to approach it

In addition to what others have said: I don't know if you have yet met with the concept of independence, but this problem fits that profile.

You can write your bivariate density f(x,y) as a product of two univariate densities g(x) and h(y):
[tex] f(x,y) = 6a^{-5}xy^{2} = (2 a^{-2} x) ( 3 a^{-3} y^2) = g(x) h(y), 0 \leq x,y \leq a. [/tex]
Here the individual factors ##g(x) = 2 a^{-2} x## and ##h(y) = 2 a^{-3} y^2## are both univariate probability densities of random variables ##X, Y## on ##[0,a]##: they are ≥ 0 and integrate to 1. There is a general theorem that ##E(XY) = EX \cdot EY## if ##X## and ##Y## are independent. You have shown one special case of this. Note: ##EX## is the expectation of ##X##, and is the same as what you call ##\bar{X}##.

Last edited:

Related to Can Independence Simplify Calculating Expectation Values in Probability?

What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is a measure of the average value of a physical quantity in a given system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, each multiplied by its probability, and is represented by the symbol ⟨x⟩.

Why is evaluating expectation values important?

Evaluating expectation values allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a physical system. It helps us understand the most likely outcome of a measurement and the variability of that outcome.

How is an expectation value calculated?

To calculate an expectation value, we first determine the possible outcomes of a measurement and their corresponding probabilities. Then, we multiply each outcome by its probability and sum all of these products together.

What is the significance of a large or small expectation value?

A large expectation value indicates that the most likely outcome of a measurement is significantly higher than the other possible outcomes. A small expectation value indicates that the most likely outcome is not significantly higher than the other outcomes.

Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative if there are both positive and negative outcomes with significant probabilities in the system being evaluated. This is often seen in quantum mechanical systems.