Can I use a TV Tuner in my dorm at college?

• Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, you will need a digital tuner to watch TV in college, but the channels will still be available in analog form after the switch. The FCC requires cable companies that provide any analog service to provide analog versions of local broadcast channels, even after those channels have shut down their analog signals.
RiseAgainst
I want to buy a TV tuner for my computer but I want to know if I will still be able to use it in college. I am going to be living in a dorm and think it would save me a lot of money to buy a tuner instead of a TV. But I don't know if dorm rooms get cable or satellite.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What country?
The US is in the process of switching from analogue to digital transmissions so you will need a digital (ATSC?) tuner, the UK is switching in a few years - but you will get extra channels with a digital (freeview) receiver.

Of course you aren't going to have time to watch TV - what with all the sex drugs and calculus.

mgb_phys said:
What country?
The US is in the process of switching from analogue to digital transmissions so you will need a digital (ATSC?) tuner, the UK is switching in a few years - but you will get extra channels with a digital (freeview) receiver.

Of course you aren't going to have time to watch TV - what with all the sex drugs and calculus.

It's will be in the US. And if I do find time to watch TV will I be able to get DirecTV in my dorm or will I have to use an antenna?

Dorm rooms are almost always standard cable, which today means you may use a digital tuner if you want, but you don't have to. After the digital switch, I'm not really sure if the analog broadcast channels will be dropped or will be converted from digital to analog for analog customers. My cable company hasn't been clear about that. Other analog cable channels, however, will remain analog at least for now.

RiseAgainst said:
I want to buy a TV tuner for my computer but I want to know if I will still be able to use it in college. I am going to be living in a dorm and think it would save me a lot of money to buy a tuner instead of a TV. But I don't know if dorm rooms get cable or satellite.

Most US colleges provide some kind of TV service. Usually they contract with the local cable TV company. Some might use satellite instead. Some might have their own master antenna system that feeds campus buldings. The details vary from one college to another so ask the people in charge of TV at your college to be most certain of getting correct answers.

Likewise for policies on installing your own antenna, whether for over-the-air TV or satellite TV.

russ_watters said:
After the digital switch, I'm not really sure if the analog broadcast channels will be dropped or will be converted from digital to analog for analog customers.

The FCC requires cable companies that provide any analog service to provide analog versions of local broadcast channels, even after those channels have shut down their analog signals, until at least 2012. The cablecos can convert from digital to analog as necessary.

If a cable company converts completely to digital, then it can drop those analog local channels and provide only the digital versions.

By the way, some of my local stations shut off their analog signals tonight, about an hour and a half ago. Tonight was the original deadline for all stations to shut down their analog signals, until Congress pushed it back to June 12 at the request of the Obama administration.

Last edited:

Related to Can I use a TV Tuner in my dorm at college?

1. Can I use a TV Tuner in my dorm at college?

Yes, you can use a TV Tuner in your dorm at college. However, it is important to check with your college's policies and guidelines regarding electronic devices in dorm rooms.

2. What is a TV Tuner?

A TV Tuner is a device that allows you to watch and record television programs on your computer or laptop. It typically comes in the form of a USB stick that connects to your device.

3. Do I need a TV Tuner to watch TV on my computer?

No, you do not necessarily need a TV Tuner to watch TV on your computer. Many streaming services and websites offer live TV options that do not require a TV Tuner. However, if you want to watch and record live TV channels, then a TV Tuner is necessary.

4. How do I set up a TV Tuner in my dorm room?

To set up a TV Tuner in your dorm room, you will first need to install the necessary software on your computer or laptop. Then, plug the TV Tuner into a USB port and connect it to your antenna or cable source. Finally, follow the instructions provided by the TV Tuner's software to scan for channels and start watching TV.

5. Can I use a TV Tuner with any type of computer or laptop?

Most TV Tuners are compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems, so you should be able to use one with any type of computer or laptop. However, it is always important to check the compatibility of the TV Tuner with your specific device before purchasing.