Can a spinning thread form a helix through gravity and force?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the creation of a computer simulation in Java that models the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. The analogy used is imagining a piece of thread being spun by rolling one finger against the other, resulting in a twisting and wobbling effect. The person is seeking help and input from math experts for the simulation, which is meant to represent the creation of matter at the beginning of the universe.
Mammo
I'm currently writing a computer simulation (in Java) of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. The analogy I use is to imagine a piece of thread held between two fingers and left to hang via gravity. When the thread is spun by rolling one finger against the other, the thread will itself rotate. But because the force is only applied at one end, there is a delay in the time the force reaches the free end of the thread. This will result in a twisting effect and a 'wobbling' effect. It is this action which I wish to recreate in the formation of a helix. Does anyone understand what I am talking about? It's the fundamental modelling of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. I need help. It sounds easy in practice, but tricky when you try to write a computer program.

I come from an astronomy/computing background, and would appreciate the input from math people. (It is meant as a simulation of the creation of (spinning) matter at the beginning of the universe (!))

Physics news on Phys.org
Too hard for a mathematician?

Related to Can a spinning thread form a helix through gravity and force?

1. Can gravity alone cause a spinning thread to form a helix?

No, gravity alone cannot cause a spinning thread to form a helix. Gravity only acts as a force that pulls objects towards each other, while a helix requires both gravity and another force, such as centrifugal force, to create the spiral shape.

2. How is centrifugal force related to the formation of a helix?

Centrifugal force is the outward force that is exerted on an object when it is spinning. This force, combined with the force of gravity, causes a spinning thread to form a helix shape as it is pulled towards the center of rotation while also moving away from it due to the centrifugal force.

3. What is the role of tension in the formation of a helix through gravity and force?

Tension is an important factor in the formation of a helix through gravity and force. It is the force that is exerted on the thread in order to keep it in a straight line while it is being pulled towards the center of rotation. This tension, combined with the forces of gravity and centrifugal force, causes the thread to form a helix shape.

4. Can other factors affect the formation of a helix through gravity and force?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the formation of a helix through gravity and force. These include the speed of rotation, the strength of the thread, and the angle at which the thread is being pulled towards the center of rotation. These factors can all impact the shape and stability of the helix formed.

5. Are there real-life examples of a spinning thread forming a helix through gravity and force?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of a spinning thread forming a helix through gravity and force. Some examples include DNA molecules, which have a helical shape due to the forces of gravity and other molecular forces, and tornadoes, which form spiraling shapes due to the combination of gravity and wind forces.