Calculating Energy Released Per Proton & Mass Converted to Energy/sec

For the second question, you need to find the mass-equivalent of the 3.64·10^38 protons/sec. How can you do that?In summary, we discussed the equations for the conversion of hydrogen to helium and the release of energy. From these equations, we were able to calculate the energy released per proton, which was found to be 6.55 MeV. Using the luminosity of the Sun, we can determine the number of pp-reactions needed per second, which is equivalent to the number of protons being converted to helium. This amount was found to be 3.64·10^38 protons per second. Finally, we used the famous equation E=mc² to find
Qyzren
H1 means hydrogen with mass 1, H2 means hydrogen with mass 2 (has a neutron), etc

1) H1 + H1 -> H2 + positron + neutrino + 1.18 Mev (+0.26MeV)
2) H1 + H2 -> He3 + photon + 5.49MeV
3) He3 + He3 -> He4 + 2*H1 + 12.86 MeV

(The neutrino produced in 1 for all practical purposes do not interact with matter, so their energy can be ignored (neutrino energy 0.26MeV)

Using the above 3 equations, calculate the energy released per proton. Note that the equations must be properly combined in order to find the overall reaction! Given the sun's luminosity calculate the amount of hydrogen converted to helium every second. How much mass per second is converted directly to energy?

Homework Equations

sun's luminosity: 3.826*10^26 W

answers: 6.55 MeV, 6.2*10^11 kg, 4.3x10^9 kg.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown each proton has released 6.55 MeV. but how do i calculate the amount of hydrogen converted to helium every second?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(I removed part of my reply, since I missed at first where you said you'd gotten the 6.55 MeV per proton.)

Having gotten that answer, you have the energy release (in MeV) from one pp-reaction. Given what the luminosity (power output) of the Sun is, how many of these reactions would be needed per second? How many protons cease to exist as individuals and become groups of four in nuclei every second? How much mass is that?

Last question -- Since you have the Sun's luminosity, what mass is that energy equivalent to (that will take you from, say, Joules per second to kg/sec)? What famous equation might you use?

Last edited:
part c I've got, directly using E = mc² gives 4.3*10^9 kg

but i still have trouble with part b :(

Luminosity of sun is 3.826*10^26 W which is 3.826*10^26 J/s
6.55 MeV = 1.049 * 10^-12 protons/J .

Last edited:
Qyzren said:
i still have trouble with part b :(

Luminosity of sun is 3.826*10^26 W which is 3.826*10^26 J/s
6.55 MeV = 1.049 * 10^-12 J/proton .
so if you divide it you can get 3.64*10^38 J/proton...
Watch your units: that division gives you 3.64·10^38 protons/sec. What mass does that many protons have?

just using E = mc2 to convert J to kg won't get me the answer of 6.2*10^11 kg :(

That equation is for finding the mass-equivalent of the 3.826·10^26 J/sec, which is the answer for the third question.

Related to Calculating Energy Released Per Proton & Mass Converted to Energy/sec

1. How do you calculate the energy released per proton?

The energy released per proton can be calculated using the formula E = m*c^2, where E is the energy in joules, m is the mass of the proton in kilograms, and c is the speed of light in meters per second.

2. What is the significance of calculating energy released per proton?

Calculating the energy released per proton is important in understanding the amount of energy that can be harnessed from nuclear reactions. It is also used in nuclear physics research and in the development of nuclear energy technologies.

3. How is mass converted to energy per second?

In nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass is converted to a large amount of energy per second. This is due to the mass-energy equivalence principle, stated by Einstein's famous equation E = m*c^2. The mass converted to energy per second can be calculated using this equation.

4. What is the relationship between energy released per proton and mass converted to energy per second?

The energy released per proton and mass converted to energy per second are directly proportional. This means that as the energy released per proton increases, the mass converted to energy per second also increases. However, the amount of energy released per proton is much larger than the amount of mass converted to energy per second.

5. What units are used to measure energy released per proton and mass converted to energy per second?

The energy released per proton is typically measured in joules (J), while the mass converted to energy per second is measured in watts (W). However, in some cases, other units such as electronvolts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh) may also be used.