Bloch equations for a 3-level system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with three states and two separate incident light fields, where the loss rates from the excited states are given. The goal is to show the Hamiltonian for the system in the rotating wave approximation, which is given by a matrix with diagonal elements being straightforward but off-diagonal elements being more complicated. The conversation also addresses a potential issue with taking matrix elements of the dipole interaction Hamiltonian in this case.
GwtBc

Homework Statement

"Consider a system with three states, ##|1\rangle , |2\rangle ,|3\rangle ## with energies ##\hbar \omega_1 , \hbar \omega_2 , \hbar \omega_3 ##. the states are then separated by ##\hbar \omega_3 -\hbar \omega_1 = \hbar \omega_{13}## and ## \hbar \omega_3-\hbar \omega_2= \hbar \omega_{23}##. Two separate light fields are incident on the system with frequencies ##\omega_p## and ##\omega_c## respectively, where ##\omega_p## couples states 1 and 3 with a detuning of ##\Delta_p##, and ##\omega_c## couples states 2 and 3 with a detuning of ##\Delta_c##. The loss rates from the excited states ##|2\rangle## and ##|3\rangle## are ##\gamma_2## and ##\gamma_3## respectively.

Show that the H for the system in the rotating wave approx. is ##
\dfrac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}
2\omega_{1}& 0 & -\Omega_{p}e^{i\omega_{p}t} \\
0& 2\omega_{2} & -\Omega_{c}e^{i\omega_{c}t}\\
-\Omega_{p}e^{-i\omega_{p}t}& -\Omega_{c}e^{-i\omega_{c}t} & 2\omega_{3}
\end{pmatrix}##

Where the Rabi frequencies ##\Omega_p## and ##\Omega_c## are defined naturally, for example
## \hbar\Omega_{p} = \langle 1 |\vec{d} \cdot \vec{E_{p}}| 3 \rangle ##."

Presumably ##\vec{E_p}## is the vector magnitude of the relevant electric field, i.e. the field coupling state 1 and 3 is described by ##\vec{E_p}\cos (\omega_p t)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The diagonal elements of the Hamiltonian are straightforward, but we don't understand why the off diagonals look the way they do. In the two-state case, the dipole interaction Hamiltonian is given by ##H_I = -\vec{d}\cdot \vec{E}## where our electric field is ##\vec{E} \cos (\omega t).## Then the off diagonal element is given by ##\langle 1 | H_I | 2 \rangle = \langle 2 | H_I | 1 \rangle ^* = - \langle 1 | \vec{d} \cdot \vec{E} | 2 \rangle \cos (\omega t). ## But in this case we have two electric fields and so ## H_I = -\vec{d} \cdot (\vec{E_p}\cos{w_pt} + \vec{E_c}\cos{w_ct})##. But when we try to take the matrix element of this w.r.t. the different states to find the entries of the Hamiltonian, things aren't working out. For example, why is it that ##\langle 1 | H_I | 2 \rangle = 0 ## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you do the rotating wave approximation?

Related to Bloch equations for a 3-level system

1. What are Bloch equations for a 3-level system?

The Bloch equations are a set of differential equations that describe the time evolution of the population of a three-level quantum system. They are commonly used in the study of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and quantum optics.

2. What is the physical significance of Bloch equations?

Bloch equations provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of three-level quantum systems. They describe how the populations of the different levels change over time due to interactions with external forces and internal processes, such as relaxation and coherence.

3. How are Bloch equations derived?

Bloch equations are derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. By considering the interactions between the system and its environment, the equations can be simplified and solved to obtain the Bloch equations.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Bloch equations?

The Bloch equations assume that the system is in a steady state, meaning that the populations of the levels do not change significantly over time. They also assume that the system is isolated from the environment, and that there is no external driving force.

5. What are some applications of Bloch equations?

Bloch equations are used in various fields of physics, including NMR, quantum optics, and atomic and molecular physics. They are also useful in understanding the behavior of quantum systems in quantum computing and in the development of quantum technologies.