Ball thrown across a carousel - fictitious forces in polar coordinates

In summary, a fictitious force is a perceived force that appears to act on an object but is actually a result of the object's motion in a non-inertial frame of reference. When a ball is thrown across a carousel, it experiences fictitious forces such as the centrifugal force and the Coriolis force. The difference between fictitious forces in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is the frame of reference. Fictitious forces can usually be ignored in calculations, but may need to be taken into account in certain situations. They do not follow Newton's laws of motion and do not affect their validity.
JShlomi

Homework Statement

a carousel is spinning with a constant angular velocity ω. two people, A and B are standing across each other (with the center between them) at distance 2d (d is the radius of the carousel). A throws a ball to B, so B catches it after T seconds.

describe the equations of motion for the ball in the reference frame of the carousel, in polar coordinates - without using calculations made in the inertial frame.

Homework Equations

velocity in polar coordinates:
V = [itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]\widehat{r}[/itex]+rω[itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]

acceleration in polar coordinates:

A = ([itex]\ddot{r}[/itex]-ω2r)[itex]\widehat{r}[/itex]+(r[itex]\dot{ω}[/itex]+2ω[itex]\dot{r}[/itex])[itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]

centrifugal force:

Fcent = -mω2r

Coriolis force:

Fcor = -2m(ωXv)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've distinguished between the angular velocity of the reference frame ω and the angular velocity of the ball in the non-inertial frame [itex]\Psi[/itex].

the centrifugal force always acts outwards in the radial axis, and the Coriolis force acts both on the radial axis and the tangential axis, where on each axis its component is proportional to the velocity in the other axis.

In the reference frame of the carousel, the tangential velocity is [itex]\Psi[/itex]r[itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex], and the radial velocity is [itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]\widehat{r}[/itex].

I write the equations according to Newtons second law in each axis separately,

and get:

in the radial axis:
[itex]\ddot{r}[/itex]-[itex]\Psi[/itex]2r=ω2r-2ωr[itex]\Psi[/itex]

I can reduce this to:

[itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] = r(ω-[itex]\Psi[/itex])2

and in the tangential axis:

r[itex]\dot{\Psi}[/itex]+2[itex]\Psi[/itex][itex]\dot{r}[/itex]= -2ω[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]

which I can get to:
r[itex]\dot{\Psi}[/itex] =-2[itex]\dot{r}[/itex](ω+[itex]\Psi[/itex])

now, I know there are simpler ways to do this. But in this way of looking at things, how can I solve these equations? Did I formulate them correctly?

My general hunch is that I'm missing some fact about this system which makes it simpler, like the angular velocity of the ball in the non-inertial frame being constant, in which case i can conclude its equal in magnitude and opposite in sign to the angular velocity of the system. But if this is true, why? how can i know its constant?

Once I can reduce these to differential equations I can solve the initial conditions are that the radius is equal to d at t=0 and d at t=T. I'm then looking to find the initial velocity required by A (the ball thrower) in order to reach B.

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jonathan,

You have correctly formulated the equations of motion for the ball in the reference frame of the carousel. However, as you mentioned, there is a simpler way to approach this problem.

Since the carousel is rotating at a constant angular velocity ω, we can assume that the angular velocity of the ball in the non-inertial frame is also constant and equal to ω. This is because the ball is rotating with the carousel and therefore its angular velocity relative to the carousel is also constant.

Now, we can use the equations of motion for a circular motion to solve this problem. The radial acceleration of the ball is given by:

a = ω²r

where r is the distance from the center of the carousel to the ball. Since the distance is given as 2d, we can rewrite this as:

a = ω²(2d) = 4ω²d

Similarly, the tangential acceleration is given by:

a = ωv

where v is the tangential velocity of the ball. We know that the ball is thrown from one person to another, so the tangential velocity at the start and end points (when t = 0 and t = T) is zero. Therefore, we can write:

a = ω(0) = 0

Now, we can use these two equations to solve for the initial velocity of the ball, v0. We know that the total time for the ball to travel from A to B is T seconds, so we can use the equation of motion for uniform acceleration to find v0:

v = v0 + at

0 = v0 + (4ω²d)(T)

v0 = -4ω²dT

Therefore, the initial velocity required by A is:

v0 = -4ω²dT

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Ball thrown across a carousel - fictitious forces in polar coordinates

What is a fictitious force?

A fictitious force is a perceived force that appears to act on an object, but is actually a result of the object's motion in a non-inertial frame of reference. It is not a real force, but rather a mathematical construct used to explain the motion of objects in non-inertial frames.

How does a ball thrown across a carousel experience fictitious forces?

When a ball is thrown across a carousel, it is in a non-inertial frame of reference due to the rotation of the carousel. This causes the ball to experience fictitious forces, such as the centrifugal force and the Coriolis force, which act on the ball in addition to the gravitational force.

What is the difference between fictitious forces in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The difference between fictitious forces in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is the frame of reference. In Cartesian coordinates, the frame of reference is fixed, whereas in polar coordinates, the frame of reference is rotating. This leads to different equations and expressions for fictitious forces.

Can fictitious forces be ignored in calculations?

In most cases, fictitious forces can be ignored in calculations as they do not have a significant impact on the overall motion of an object. However, in certain situations, such as high-speed rotations, they may need to be taken into account to accurately predict the motion of an object.

How are fictitious forces related to Newton's laws of motion?

Fictitious forces are not actual forces and do not follow Newton's laws of motion. They are only apparent due to the non-inertial frame of reference and are not caused by any physical interactions. Therefore, they do not affect the validity of Newton's laws of motion.