Attaching maps in a product of CW-complexes

• Thread starter mrbohn1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, to find the differential operators in a product of CW complexes, where the individual differential operators are known, one can refer to theorem A.6 in the appendix of Hatcher's book. This includes a link to the appendix which provides further explanation and examples.
mrbohn1
Could someone please explain to me how to find the differential operators in a product of CW complexes, if the individual differential operators are known?

For example, I know that RP2x S2 has 1 0-cell, 1 1-cell, 1 2- cells and 1 4-cell, and I know how the cells of RP2 and S2 are attached, but I don't know how the cells of RP2 x S2 are attached.

I'd be happy with a link to somewhere that explains this, I haven't been able to find a source. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks...I should have known it would be somewhere in Hatcher.

Related to Attaching maps in a product of CW-complexes

1. What is the purpose of attaching maps in a product of CW-complexes?

The purpose of attaching maps in a product of CW-complexes is to construct a new CW-complex by combining multiple existing CW-complexes together in a specific way. This allows for a more efficient and organized representation of a larger space.

2. How is the attaching map determined?

The attaching map is determined by specifying the attaching maps for each individual CW-complex that is being combined. These attaching maps must satisfy certain conditions in order to ensure that the resulting product is a valid CW-complex.

3. Can attaching maps be used to construct any type of space?

No, attaching maps can only be used to construct CW-complexes. These are topological spaces that are built from simpler pieces called cells, and are commonly used to study algebraic topology and homotopy theory.

4. Are there any limitations to how many CW-complexes can be combined using attaching maps?

There are no limitations on the number of CW-complexes that can be combined using attaching maps. However, the resulting product will only be a valid CW-complex if the attaching maps are carefully chosen and satisfy the necessary conditions.

5. What are the benefits of using attaching maps in constructing CW-complexes?

Attaching maps allow for a more efficient and systematic way of constructing CW-complexes. They also provide a way to study the structure and properties of a larger space by breaking it down into simpler components. Additionally, attaching maps can be used to construct more complex spaces by combining simpler ones.