Asking for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goldstein
In summary, the conversation discusses a generalized potential suitable for use in a covariant Lagrangian for a single particle. The Lagrange equations of motion are obtained from the Lagrangian, which includes the Minkowski force represented by the first term. The problem is that the 4-acceleration appears twice in the equations, so it is unclear which term represents the Minkowski force. The solution involves solving a set of linear equations and finding the force in a Lorentz frame.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

A generalized potential suitable for use in a covariant Lagrangian for a single particle

[itex]U=-A_{\lambda\nu}(x_\mu)u^\lambda u^\nu[/itex]

where [itex]A_{\lambda\nu}[/itex] stands for a symmetric world tensor of the second rank and [itex]u^\nu[/itex] are the components of the world velocity. If the Lagrangian is made up of [itex]\frac{1}{2}mu_\nu u^\nu[/itex] minus U, obtain the Lagrange equations of motion. What is the Minkowski force? Give the components of the force as observed in some Lorentz frame.

Homework Equations

I've got the Lagrange equations:

[itex]m\frac{d u_\nu}{d \tau}+2A_{\lambda\nu}\frac{d u^\lambda}{d \tau}+2\frac{\partial A_{\lambda\nu}}{\partial x^\rho}u^\lambda u^\rho-\frac{\partial A_{\lambda\rho}}{\partial x^\nu}u^\lambda u^\rho =0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, the problem is following. The 4-acceleration appears twice in the Lagrange equations. So which one represents the Minkowski force?

I think the first term definitely represents one component of the Minkowski force. If you rewrite the second term in the following form,

[itex]2A_{\lambda\nu}\frac{d u^\lambda}{d \tau}=2\frac{A_{\lambda\nu}}{m}(m\frac{d u^\lambda}{d \tau})[/itex]

then you find the Minkowski force. Then what we have to do is to solve a set of linear equations, which is hopeless at least at the first sight.

So which should be the force? Just the first term? Or, try to solve the set of linear equations? And how to solve it? I need your help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also in the same situation and would like some points on where to proceed once I have Lagrange's equation's of motion. Can Minkowski force be just the mass times the four velocity? Also to find the force in a Lorenz frame, that refers to just the spatial component of the Minkowski force right?

Can this be moved to the homework help section?

Related to Asking for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9

1. What is the best way to ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9?

The best way to ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 is to be specific about which part of the problem you are struggling with and what approaches you have already tried. This will help others give you targeted and useful hints.

2. Can I ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 on online forums or discussion boards?

Yes, you can ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 on online forums or discussion boards. However, be mindful of any rules or guidelines for asking for help on these platforms and make sure to provide enough context for others to understand your question.

3. How can I make sure I am not just getting the answer when asking for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9?

One way to avoid just getting the answer when asking for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 is to actively engage with the hints given and try to apply them to the problem. This will help you understand the concept better and ultimately solve the problem on your own.

4. Is it okay to ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 from my professor or TA?

Yes, it is okay to ask for hints to Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9 from your professor or TA. In fact, they are often the best resources for getting hints on class assignments. Just make sure to ask for help during office hours or through email, rather than during class time.

5. How many hints should I ask for when requesting help with Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9?

It is generally recommended to ask for no more than three hints when requesting help with Goldstein chapter 7, problem 9. This will help you stay focused and not become overwhelmed with too much information. If you still need more assistance after three hints, consider asking for a one-on-one meeting with your professor or TA.