Any advice for a power electronics newbie?

In summary, the graduate student recommends learning more about power safety regulations, Power Factor Correction, and Maximum Power Point converters. He suggests also studying Power Engineering.
GottaKnow
I realize there are a lot of people on this forums in a related field of study.

Was wondering if there was something you wish you would have done at/from the start of your career?
I am graduate student in the field and am about to start an internship soon. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve my learning.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
GottaKnow said:
I realize there are a lot of people on this forums in a related field of study.

Was wondering if there was something you wish you would have done at/from the start of your career?
I am graduate student in the field and am about to start an internship soon. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve my learning.

Thanks in advance
What kind of Power Engineering? Designing power supplies and power electronics, or working with AC Mains power distribution through the Power Grid?

Hello

Thank you for your response and interest.
My projects have included both power supply design and converter design. Lately I have been working on multilevel inverters and converters related to microgrid systems (MPPT Controlled Boost, PWM/resonant inverters).

(I have been exploring power management and automotives as well). So basically just power electronics and NOT what falls under power systems/distribution through power grid/protection

That's great that you are starting an internship soon -- that should give you good experience.

I would suggest learning more about the safety regulations involved in power electronics that connect to AC Mains power and also to high voltage batteries (like Electric Vehicles). As you work with power electronics designs, many aspects of the designs are affected by safety regulations to keep users of the systems as safe as possible. The spacing ("creepage and clearance") of conductors carrying AC Mains or other high voltages need to be followed, and the isolation of low-voltage output circuits from the AC Mains involves a number of tricks and techniques. Hopefully you can learn some of that information at your internship. Some of the safety regulations involved are found under the specification EN 60950. Other safety standards will likely also apply to your work, depending on the type of system you are designing...

http://ulstandards.ul.com/standard/?id=60950-1_1

Beyond that, have you learned much about Power Factor Correction yet? It does sound like you've worked with Maximum Power Point converters already, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes GottaKnow
Yes, sir. I have both read up on and implemented MPPT control in my projects. With regards to PFC, I have had it as part of my coursework, but I would guess it was not too detailed.

Will definitely find time to look up the regulations that you mentioned. Thanks a lot for your time.

Likes berkeman

Related to Any advice for a power electronics newbie?

1. What is power electronics and why is it important?

Power electronics is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the conversion, control, and conditioning of electric power. It plays a crucial role in modern technology, as it enables the efficient and reliable use of electric energy in various applications such as renewable energy systems, electric vehicles, and consumer electronics.

2. What are the basic components of a power electronics system?

A power electronics system typically consists of four main components: a power source, a power conversion device, a control circuit, and a load. The power source can be an AC or DC supply, while the power conversion device can be a transistor, diode, or thyristor. The control circuit is responsible for regulating and monitoring the power flow, and the load is the device that consumes the power.

3. What skills are essential for a power electronics newbie to learn?

To become proficient in power electronics, one must have a strong foundation in electrical engineering, including knowledge of circuit analysis, semiconductor devices, and control systems. It is also helpful to have programming skills for designing and simulating power electronics systems.

4. Are there any specific safety precautions to take when working with power electronics?

Yes, working with power electronics can be dangerous, and it is essential to take proper safety precautions. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring that all equipment is properly grounded. It is also crucial to follow proper procedures while handling high-voltage components and to disconnect the power source before making any changes to the circuit.

5. What resources are available for learning about power electronics?

There are many resources available for learning about power electronics, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. Additionally, there are various simulation software programs that can help beginners understand and design power electronics systems. It can also be helpful to join online communities and forums to connect with other power electronics enthusiasts and share knowledge and resources.