Answer to Sakurai 2.22 makes no sense

• Thread starter QFT25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of <x^2> for a particle of mass m subject to a one-dimensional potential. The attempted solution leads to a different answer than the given solution, suggesting an error in the solutions manual. It is concluded that the wave function must be renormalized to obtain the correct answer of (3ħ)/(2mω).
QFT25

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m subject to a one-dimensional potential of the following form:

(1/2)k*x^2 x>0

Infinity for 0<x

Find <x^2> for the ground state

Homework Equations

<x^2>= <Psi|x^2|Psi>

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 3*h/(4*m*w) but to me that makes no sense. That answer was derived using the first excited state of the ground state for the potential in which there is no infinite wall at x=0. That state is normalized for -Infinity to Infinity. But in our circumstance the motion can only be from 0 to Infinity. That means I need to re-normalize the wave function so that it it's norm is 1 from 0 to Infinity. When I do that and calculate the expectation value I get 3*h/(2*m*w). I don't understand how you can use a wave function which is not normalized from 0 to Infinity to calculate < x^2> from 0 to infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think you are correct that the wavefunction should be renormalized and the answer for <x2> is (3ħ)/(2mω).

QFT25 said:
I know the answer is 3*h/(4*m*w) but to me that makes no sense.
Where did you get that answer?

DrClaude said:
Where did you get that answer?
The solutions manual. I think it has an error.

QFT25 said:
The solutions manual. I think it has an error.
I agree. The wave function has to be renormalized.

Related to Answer to Sakurai 2.22 makes no sense

1. What is the Sakurai 2.22 theory?

The Sakurai 2.22 theory is a hypothesis proposed by physicist Jun Sakurai that attempts to explain the behavior of subatomic particles in quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously until observed, at which point they collapse into a single state.

2. Why does the Sakurai 2.22 theory make no sense?

Many scientists argue that the Sakurai 2.22 theory violates the laws of causality and contradicts other well-established theories in physics. Additionally, the concept of particles existing in multiple states at once goes against our understanding of the physical world.

3. What evidence supports the Sakurai 2.22 theory?

There is currently no experimental evidence that directly supports the Sakurai 2.22 theory. It is based on mathematical equations and theoretical models, but has not been proven through observations or experiments.

4. How does the Sakurai 2.22 theory relate to the famous double-slit experiment?

The Sakurai 2.22 theory is often used to explain the results of the double-slit experiment, where particles behave like waves and can pass through two slits simultaneously. However, there are other theories that can also explain this phenomenon.

5. Is the Sakurai 2.22 theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

The Sakurai 2.22 theory is a controversial topic in the scientific community. While some physicists support it, others reject it and propose alternative explanations for quantum phenomena. It is not widely accepted as a proven theory, but continues to be a subject of debate and research.