Angular momentum and rotations

In summary, the group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations implies that the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form $$R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z$$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator. This is because the unitarity of the operator implies that ##J_z## must be Hermitian for the group law to be conserved. This relation is the definition of ##J_z## as the infinitesimal generator relative to a virtual z axis.
Kashmir
Cohen tannoudji. Vol 1.pg 702"Now, let us consider an infinitesimal rotation ##\mathscr{R}_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## about the ##O z## axis. Since the group law is conserved for infinitesimal rotations, the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form: $$ R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z $$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator since ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}\left(\mathrm{~d} \alpha\right.## ) is unitary (cf. Complement ##\mathrm{C}_{\mathrm{II}}, \S 3## ). This relation is the definition of ##J_z##."

Why is it that; Since the group law is conserved for infinitesimal rotations, the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form: $$ R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z $$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unitarity of ##R \equiv R_{e_z}## means
$$R R^{\dagger}=(1-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z)(1+\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha) J_z^{\dagger} = 1 -\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha (J_z - J_z^{\dagger}) + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \stackrel{!}{=} 1 + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \; \Rightarrow \; J_z=J_z^{\dagger}.$$

Likes Omega0, Kashmir, topsquark and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
Unitarity of ##R \equiv R_{e_z}## means
$$R R^{\dagger}=(1-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z)(1+\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha) J_z^{\dagger} = 1 -\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha (J_z - J_z^{\dagger}) + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \stackrel{!}{=} 1 + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \; \Rightarrow \; J_z=J_z^{\dagger}.$$
I was trying to ask about why does
The group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations imply that

##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z## . Why does it necessarily have this form

Likes Omega0
... because this is the infinitesimal generator relative to an virtual z axis? Is your question like "why is the Taylor expansion of the e function is at it is.."?

Kashmir said:
I was trying to ask about why does
The group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations imply that

##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z## . Why does it necessarily have this form
Every operator parameterized by an infinitesimal has that form. The group law implies ##J_z## is Hermitian. That's the point.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71