Possible measurements of z-component of angular momentum

In summary: They've just rewritten the wavefunction as a superposition of three eigenfunctions.If you apply ##L_z## to the entire wave function you will get the expectation value of ##L_z##. The possible results and their probabilities are given by the Born rule: The result will be an eigenvalue, and the probability of getting a particular eigenvalue is the square of the coefficient of that eigenfunction.I think, it's just formulated in a somewhat strange way. I guess, what they wanted to know is, which possible values ##L_z## can take, if the system is prepared in the given state. Since the state belongs obviously to ##l=1##, you can just calculate$$
Fosheimdet
I'm looking through an old exam, and don't quite understand the solution given for one of the problems.

We have given a wavefunction [itex] g(\phi,\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(-cos(\theta) + isin(\theta)sin(\phi)) [/itex]

and are asked what possible measurements can be made of the z-component of the angular momentum.
My instinct is to use the operator [itex] \hat{L}_z = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} [/itex] on the wavefunction, which shows that g is not an eigenfunction of the operator.

In the solution however, they rewrote g as [itex] g(\phi,\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(-cos(\theta) + \frac{1}{2}sin(\theta)(e^{i\phi}-e^{-i\phi})) [/itex] and said that the first term is an eigenfunction of [itex] \hat{L}_z [/itex] with the eigenvalue m=0, the second term has the eigenvalue m=1 and the last m=-1. Therefore the possible measurements are [itex] m=0,\pm{1} [/itex].

My question is why this is valid. Why does one of the components of the original wavefunction give you one of the measurement values? Don't you have to apply [itex] \hat{L}_z [/itex] to the entire wavefunction? Has this got something to do with your choice of [itex] \phi [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fosheimdet said:
My question is why this is valid. Why does one of the components of the original wavefunction give you one of the measurement values? Don't you have to apply [itex] \hat{L}_z [/itex] to the entire wavefunction? Has this got something to do with your choice of [itex] \phi [/itex]?

They've just rewritten the wavefunction as a superposition of three eigenfunctions.
If you apply ##L_z## to the entire wave function you will get the expectation value of ##L_z##. The possible results and their probabilities are given by the Born rule: The result will be an eigenvalue, and the probability of getting a particular eigenvalue is the square of the coefficient of that eigenfunction.

I think, it's just formulated in a somewhat strange way. I guess, what they wanted to know is, which possible values ##L_z## can take, if the system is prepared in the given state. Since the state belongs obviously to ##l=1##, you can just calculate
$$\langle 1,m |g \rangle=\int_{\Omega} \mathrm{d}^2 \Omega [Y_1^m(\vartheta,\varphi)]^* g(\vartheta,\varphi) \quad \text{for} \quad m \in \{-1,1,0 \}.$$
Then all ##m## are possible outcomes of an ##L_z## measurement, for which this product is different from 0. Of course this is equivalent to the answer given in #1, because indeed you can immediately read off the decomposition of ##g## in terms of ##Y_1^m##.

Related to Possible measurements of z-component of angular momentum

1. What is the z-component of angular momentum?

The z-component of angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has around an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of rotation. It is one component of the total angular momentum of a system.

2. How is the z-component of angular momentum measured?

The z-component of angular momentum can be measured using the formula Lz = Iω, where Lz is the z-component of angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. It can also be measured using specialized equipment such as an angular momentum sensor.

3. What units are used to measure the z-component of angular momentum?

The z-component of angular momentum is typically measured in units of kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m^2/s).

4. How is the z-component of angular momentum related to other components of angular momentum?

The z-component of angular momentum is one of three components that make up the total angular momentum of a system, along with the x-component and y-component. Together, these components determine the direction and magnitude of the total angular momentum vector.

5. Why is the z-component of angular momentum important?

The z-component of angular momentum is important because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and systems. It is also a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in the absence of external torques, making it a useful tool in analyzing and predicting the behavior of rotating systems.