Ampere's Law: Find |H| at (6cm, 9cm, 0) in Toroid

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field, |H|, at a specific point in a toroid with given dimensions and current. The formula for H is provided and the process of finding the radius at the given point is explained. The purpose of the a and p values is not clear and further clarification is needed to complete the solution.
Natalie89
1. Homework Statement

A toroid of a circular cross section whose center is at the origin and the axis the same as the z-axis has 1000 turns with po=10cm, a=1cm. If the toroid carries a 100mA current, find |H| at (6cm, 9cm, 0).

2. Homework Equations

How do I calculate |H| at certain points?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that H = NI / 2*pi*po, and po - a < p < po + a, I have found p to be between 9cm and 11 cm.

I assumed H = H1 + H2.

If H1 = ((1000)(0.1) / 2 * pi * 0.9) * (0.06x + 0.09y) = 10.61x + 15.92y
Similarly, H2 is the same except p = 0.11 m. Therefore H2=8.68x + 13.02y.

After adding the two, and then finding the magnitude I get 34.8 A/m, but the answer is 147.1 A/m.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what H1 and H2 are and you don't explain. Look, you have a formula that gives H as a function of the radius. Everywhere at that radius the field is the same. So, at what radius is point (6 cm, 9 cm, 0)?

H1 and H2 are H, except one is calculated at 9cm and one is calculated at 11cm. H, I'm assuming, is the sum.

No it is not the sum. At a given radius r

[tex]H=\mu_{0}\frac{N I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

The above expression says "You give me the radius, I will give you H."

So, at what radius is point (6 cm, 9 cm, 0)?

Last edited:
Ok thank you! That helps a lot. Even if I do find 'r', what do I do with the a and p values?

What do the a and p values represent?

Related to Ampere's Law: Find |H| at (6cm, 9cm, 0) in Toroid

1. What is Ampere's Law and how is it used?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It is used to calculate the magnetic field strength at a specific point in space due to a given current distribution.

2. What is a toroid and how does it relate to Ampere's Law?

A toroid is a doughnut-shaped object with a circular cross-section, often made of a magnetic material, used to generate a uniform magnetic field. Ampere's Law can be applied to a toroid to determine the magnetic field strength at a specific point inside or outside the toroid.

3. How do you find |H| at a specific point using Ampere's Law in a toroid?

To find |H| at a specific point in a toroid, you need to determine the current passing through the toroid and the distance from the point to the toroid's center. Then, you can use the equation |H| = I/(2πr) to calculate the magnetic field strength, where I is the current and r is the distance to the center of the toroid.

4. What are the units of |H| in Ampere's Law?

The units of |H| in Ampere's Law are amperes per meter (A/m). This represents the magnetic field strength at a specific point due to a given current passing through a loop or object.

5. Can Ampere's Law be used for non-uniform current distributions?

No, Ampere's Law can only be used for calculating the magnetic field strength at a specific point due to a uniform current distribution. For non-uniform current distributions, other methods, such as Biot-Savart Law, need to be used to determine the magnetic field strength.