Ampere's Law and Laplace equations

In summary, the conversation discusses writing Ampere's law in the form of Laplace/Poisson equations and solving them numerically using Matlab. The equation Del x H = J is mentioned, as well as the use of vector identities to re-write the curl of the curl. It is suggested to use the B field instead of A, which leads to the reduction of the problem to a Poisson equation. It is also mentioned that the B fields obey superposition, allowing for the addition of fields from multiple wires based on distance.
yoyobarn

Homework Statement

I need to write ampere's law (differential form) in the form of Laplace equations / Poisson equations and then solve them numerically using Matlab.

Homework Equations

Del x H = J

The Attempt at a Solution

pls see my attachment

I need help from someone who is good at electromagnetics, and also have some numerical programming background.

Thank you very much for help!

Attachments

• equations.pdf
    272 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok now I have come up with code for one wire..

Now i need to code for two wires!

Any idea how to do that?

Attachments

• wire_square.png
    wire_square.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 448
[tex]
\nabla \times B=\mu_0J
[/tex]
[tex]
B=\nabla \times A
[/tex]
so then we substitute this into amperes law.
[tex]
\nabla \times(\nabla \times A)
[/tex]
then we use the vector identity to re-write the curl of the curl.
so we get
[tex]
\nabla(\nabla \cdot A) - (\nabla)^2A=\mu_0J
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla \cdot A = 0 [/tex]
I did this in terms of the B field but
[tex]
B=\mu H
[/tex]
So now we have reduced this to Poisson equation.
On your second post you said you need code for two wires . well the B fields obey superposition so you can just add the field to the other based on distance.

Last edited:

Related to Ampere's Law and Laplace equations

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the electric current in a given region. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the electric current passing through the loop and the permeability of the medium.

2. What are the applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has various applications in electromagnetism, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields and their effects on charged particles.

3. What is the difference between Ampere's Law and Biot-Savart Law?

While both laws are used to calculate the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire, Ampere's Law is used for calculating the magnetic field for symmetric current distributions, while the Biot-Savart Law is used for non-symmetric current distributions.

4. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the electric potential and the electric charge distribution in a given region. It is used in electrostatics to calculate the electric potential in a system.

5. What are the applications of Laplace equations?

The Laplace equation has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of electronic circuits, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and in the study of electrostatics and magnetostatics. It is also used in mathematical modeling and simulations.