Ac voltage indicator using optocoupler

• Thread starter hisham.i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Voltage
In summary, you need to use a resistor and capacitor to drop the voltage to 2 volts at the optocoupler terminals in order to activate the photo transistor.
hisham.i
Hello,

I want to design an AC voltage indicator. So i designed the circuit attached, but now i am trying to calculate the value of the resistor R1.

I have the following problem:

1- The voltage should be given at the terminals of the optocoupler.
2- The minimum current that should flow through the optocoupler in order to turn on the photo transistor.
3- How can i find these info. in the datasheet i tried to open the data sheet for PC-217 opto coupler but i wasn't able to find them.

Thanks

Attachments

• AC voltage indicator.png
    AC voltage indicator.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 862
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there hisham

just remember that the LED in the opto-coupler is pretty much a standard LED
your R1 will need to provide voltage dropping and current limiting to keep the current through the diode below maximum
most average LEDs are ~ 2V forward voltage and ~ 20 mA. So depending on what the max AC voltage you are applying will determine the value of R1 to keep a max of 2V drop across the LED and a max of 20mA through it

cheers
Dave

Hi davenn,

But drawing droping the voltage through the resistor from 354V to 2 V at the terminals for the optocoupler will result is a high resistance required (This is not a problem i can use many resistors in series), but if you take 20 mA current the power for the resistor to be selected will be very huge. So i don't think this is the case & that the minimum current that can be used in order to open the photo transistor is much less than 20 mA.

use a series capacitor for a high reactance without power dissipation. Google images show a few circuits. search for "AC line voltage indicator LED"

No i want to use the resistor & optocoupler configuration, but the value of 20 mA is not the minimum current that can be drawn through the optocoupler to open the photo transistor.

My question is what is the minimum current that can be drawn through the optocoupler to open the photo transistor (its a general question not nessary to this project).

You are better off using a capacitor and resistor to drop the voltage. Your sims will show how well that works. I'll let you play with the capacitor value. There is no good reason not to do it that way. The examples show an LED, but an optocoupler is essentially an LED driving a transistor. Just replace the LED with the optocoupler.

You need to read and understand the data sheet to determine the current transfer ratio for the part you are using. Is is different for every part number. And it varies with load current. This part http://www.avagotech.com/pages/en/o...gton_transistor_output_optocoupler/hcpl-073a/ is very different than a 4n25.

Related to Ac voltage indicator using optocoupler

1. How does an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler work?

An AC voltage indicator using optocoupler works by using an optocoupler, which is a device that consists of a light-emitting diode (LED) and a photosensitive transistor. When an AC voltage is applied to the input side of the optocoupler, the LED emits light which is then detected by the photosensitive transistor. The transistor then switches on and off, producing a square wave output that indicates the presence of AC voltage.

2. What are the advantages of using an optocoupler in an AC voltage indicator?

There are several advantages of using an optocoupler in an AC voltage indicator. Firstly, it provides electrical isolation between the input and output sides, which helps to protect the measuring instrument from high voltage spikes. Additionally, optocouplers have a fast response time and can accurately detect small changes in AC voltage. They are also compact and reliable, making them ideal for use in electronic circuits.

3. How accurate is an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler?

The accuracy of an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler depends on the quality of the components used and the circuit design. Generally, it can provide an accuracy of around 5% to 10%. However, this can vary depending on the specific optocoupler and other factors such as temperature and input voltage fluctuations.

4. Can an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler measure both low and high AC voltages?

Yes, an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler can measure both low and high AC voltages. The sensitivity of the optocoupler can be adjusted by using a resistor in series with the LED, allowing it to detect a wide range of AC voltages. However, it is important to choose an optocoupler with a sufficient maximum input voltage rating to avoid damaging the device.

5. What is the maximum frequency that an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler can measure?

The maximum frequency that an AC voltage indicator using optocoupler can measure depends on the specific optocoupler used. In general, most optocouplers have a frequency range of up to several megahertz, making them suitable for measuring AC voltages in most household and industrial applications. However, for higher frequency AC voltages, specialized optocouplers may be required.