A technical question that has to do with Hodge Star

• Thread starter PhyAmateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the Hodge star is a linear map and it can be applied to complex functions. If the complex function is transformed by the Hodge star, then it does not affect the complex function.
PhyAmateur
If we have an equation that looks like $$H=Y$$ and we want to multiply H by either $$ReM_{IJ}$$ or $$ImM_{IJ}$$ where $$M_{IJ}$$ is a complex matrix. But the thing is that $$Y=\star(...)$$ where $$\star$$ is hodge star and (...) is set of complex functions and other numerical stuff, my question is technical here, say we decide to multiply H by $$ReM_{IJ}$$ can we move $$ReM_{IJ}$$ into the parenthesis and jump over the Hodge star? That is to say $$ReM_{IJ}H=\star(ReM_{IJ} ...)$$ or this is absolutely wrong and we should keep $$ReN_{IJ}$$ outside the Hodge star? That is to say $$ReM_{IJ}H=ReM_{IJ}\star( ...)$$

EDIT: M_{IJ} is a complex matrix

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your definition of the Hodge Star in this context?

Hodge star in R^3.

The Hodge star is a linear map. Careful though, in complex geometry sometimes the Hodge star is a conjugate-linear map. Hence the reason for the question.

P.S. Your posts would be way easier to read if you use in-line Latex where appropriate.

What do you mean here by conjugate-linear map? Let me be more specific with my question, do you mean if "c" is a real number or real function then
$$ \star(c\omega)=(c\star \omega)$$
If so, then what will happen if c were a complex function instead?

Note: I am trying to using a single "$" for in-line Latex with no results :(!

Actually, I think the conjugate-linear version is typically written ##\bar \star##. It means the combination of taking the Hodge dual and the complex conjugate. Hence for a complex number ##c##,

$$\bar \star \; c \omega = \bar c \; \bar \star \; \omega.$$

As for why you would want to do this: it allows you to define a natural Hermitian product on compact complex manifolds:

$$\langle \alpha, \, \beta \rangle = \int_M \alpha \wedge \bar \star \, \beta.$$

On PF, use ## for in-line Latex.

Oh great, I understand now, then for a linear map ##\star## and if ##c## is a complex function then it will not affect the complex function upon leaping it over the ##\star##

That is to say, is the following correct if the c is a complex function:

$$\star(c\omega)=c\star\omega$$

Thank you for the in-line tip, much neater! And if you may suggest for me a good read about those mappings (linear and complex conjugate) I'd be grateful!

You should read Nakahara's book.

Ok thank you, but about the last thing I mentioned about the complex function in my previous comment? I would appreciate if you reread my previous comment again? Does the complex function leap over the linear Hodge dual with no problem the same as if it were a real function?

Related to A technical question that has to do with Hodge Star

1. What is the Hodge Star operator and what does it do?

The Hodge Star operator is a mathematical operation used in differential geometry and topology. It takes a differential form as an input and produces a new differential form as an output. It is used to convert between vector fields and differential forms, and is related to the concept of duality in mathematics.

2. How is the Hodge Star operator defined?

The Hodge Star operator is defined as a linear mapping between two vector spaces of differential forms. It is defined by its action on basis forms, which are the building blocks of differential forms. The precise definition may vary depending on the context and the type of differential forms being used.

3. What are the applications of the Hodge Star operator?

The Hodge Star operator has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in differential geometry to study manifolds and curvature, in topology to understand the topology of spaces, and in theoretical physics to describe physical phenomena such as electromagnetism and gravitation.

4. How is the Hodge Star operator related to the Laplacian?

The Hodge Star operator and the Laplacian are closely related in the context of Riemannian manifolds. The Laplacian is used to measure the curvature of a manifold, while the Hodge Star operator is used to convert between vector fields and differential forms. In some cases, the Hodge Star operator can be used to simplify the calculation of the Laplacian.

5. Can the Hodge Star operator be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Hodge Star operator can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it is defined for any number of dimensions. However, the precise definition and properties may change as the number of dimensions increases. In particular, the Hodge Star operator in higher dimensions is closely related to the concept of exterior algebra and is used in advanced topics such as algebraic topology and differential cohomology.