A falling object of decreasing mass.

In summary, the problem is that when a snowball is dropped from a high place, the rate at which it loses mass (due to evaporation) is proportional to the speed of the snowball, so that over time the snowball falls faster and faster until it crashes to the ground.
BlakeA
The problem is:

A snowball is dropped from the top of a building, evaporation causes the mass m of the snowball to decrease at a rate proportional to the snowball's speed as the snowball falls, so that

M' = k * abs(y')
where y denotes the vertical distance from the ground and k is a negative constant.

Derive the differential equation governing y(t), neglecting all physical phenomena except the pull of Earth's gravity on the snowball and the variation in the snowball's mass

This is what I have been able to work out:
Position = 0i + y(t)j
v = d/dt(position) = y'(t)
Using Newtons Second law​

Net force = (d/dt)[(mass)(velocity)]
-m(t)g = (d/dt)(m(t)y'(t))
-m(t)g = m'(t)y'(t)+m(t)y''(t)

And I'm not able to simplify this expression so I must be missing something in the setup...Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Since the velocity is never positive, we can replace the absolute value sign with a negative sign

[tex]m^\prime\left(t\right) = -ky^\prime\left(t\right)[/tex]

You can simply substitute this directly into the first term on the RHS. However, for the remaining two terms we need to determine m(t). This can be done by integrating both sides of the above expression with respect to t.

Try LaTex, it makes things easier to read :P

On a sidenote: If you don't account for friction the mass does not matter at all. Just neglect the loss (unless you care about energy).

ManDay said:
On a sidenote: If you don't account for friction the mass does not matter at all. Just neglect the loss (unless you care about energy).
I'm afraid that you're wrong there. If the mass were constant, then yes you could safely ignore the mass of the snowball. However, since the mass is not constant you need to take this into account.

--edit: I am oviously wrong, sorry for the bs

Related to A falling object of decreasing mass.

1. What causes a falling object to decrease in mass?

The decrease in mass of a falling object is primarily caused by air resistance and friction. As the object falls through the air, it collides with air molecules, causing some of its mass to be transferred to the air. Additionally, friction with the surrounding environment can also cause a decrease in mass.

2. How does the mass of a falling object affect its acceleration?

The mass of a falling object does not affect its acceleration due to gravity. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force of gravity is constant on Earth, the mass of a falling object has no effect on its acceleration.

3. Is the decrease in mass of a falling object significant?

The decrease in mass of a falling object is typically very small and is usually only noticeable for objects with a large surface area. For most objects, the decrease in mass is negligible and does not significantly affect their trajectory or speed as they fall.

4. Can a falling object ever gain mass?

In most cases, a falling object cannot gain mass. However, in certain situations, such as when an object is falling through a cloud of particles, it may experience a slight increase in mass due to the accumulation of these particles on its surface.

5. How does the decrease in mass of a falling object affect its terminal velocity?

The decrease in mass of a falling object can affect its terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed that the object can reach as it falls. As the mass decreases, the force of air resistance becomes relatively stronger, causing the object to reach its terminal velocity at a lower speed.