Solving e^(a^2) x erfc(a) Equation”

• Thread starter bhartish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula that relates exponential and complimentary error functions, which was seen in a journal paper. A counterexample is presented, and it is mentioned that there should be a substantiating answer through calculus.
bhartish
e^(a^2) x erfc(a) = e^(a^2 x erfc(a))

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bhartish! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I have seen the application of this formula in one of the journal papers . I just want to know is there any such relation ( or even other such type ) between exponential and complimentary error function ?

bhartish said:
I have seen the application of this formula in one of the journal papers

which journal (and issue and page numner)? :smile:

bhartish said:
e^(a^2) x erfc(a) = e^(a^2 x erfc(a))

So you think:

[tex]e^{a^{2}} \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{a}^\infty e^{-t^{2}} dt = e^{a^{2} \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{a}^\infty e^{-t^{2}} dt }[/tex] ?

Looks like nonsense to me. I would be very leery about this if there were no proof in this journal you're talking about.

Even I have tried this counter example but is there any substantiating answer through calculus ?

Related to Solving e^(a^2) x erfc(a) Equation”

1. What is the purpose of solving the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation?

The e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It allows us to solve for unknown variables in complex systems where there are multiple factors at play.

2. How do you solve the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation?

The equation can be solved using various methods, including numerical approximation and series expansion. However, the most commonly used method is to use a computer program or calculator that has built-in functions for solving equations involving exponential and complementary error functions.

3. What is the significance of the exponential and complementary error functions in this equation?

The exponential function, e^x, is a fundamental mathematical function that appears frequently in many scientific and mathematical applications. The complementary error function, erfc(x), is closely related to the normal distribution function and is commonly used in statistics and probability. Both of these functions play a crucial role in solving the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this equation. Some examples include calculating the probability of error in communication systems, predicting the success rate of chemical reactions, and determining the probability of failure in complex engineering systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation for solving problems?

While the e^(a^2) x erfc(a) equation is a powerful tool for solving complex problems, it does have some limitations. It is not always possible to find an exact solution to the equation, and numerical approximation methods may be required. Additionally, the equation assumes certain conditions and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios in some cases.