Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
I remember when I-66 ran from the beltway west, ending in Gainesville, near the Atlas steel works. Unrecognizable now.

Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes BillTre, collinsmark, gmax137 and 3 others

Intel issues statement about CPU crashes, blames motherboard makers — BIOSes disable thermal and power protection, causing issues​

https://news.yahoo.com/tech/intel-issues-statement-cpu-crashes-193504163.html

Igor's Lab seems to have obtained a message originally destined for motherboard manufacturers concerning a prolonged stability issue on the company's 13th Generation Raptor Lake and 14th Generation Raptor Lake Refresh chips, which rank among the best CPUs. It made sense for the company to clarify the issue where many blamed the motherboard manufacturers in a race to become 'the fastest' performer by having over-aggressive voltages for allowing higher clock speeds.

The company specifically points out the issue with 600/ 700 series motherboard manufacturers that disable thermal and power protection to achieve the highest possible overclocks, even at the cost of instability. The chipmaker said in the message:

That would be annoying for someone whose livelihood depends on a functioning computer. That's probably most of us.

Likes WWGD, pinball1970 and collinsmark
Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Wow, Duckduckgo may not track you, but there's a price to pay. Search results are 3rd tier at best. At least non-trivial ones.
How so, Dubya-dubya? Also, which secure first or second tier search engine do you prefer?

(Apologies for responding to an older post. Still recovering from major surgery late in 2023.)

• Wow
Likes BillTre
Astronuc said:

Intel issues statement about CPU crashes, blames motherboard makers — BIOSes disable thermal and power protection, causing issues​

https://news.yahoo.com/tech/intel-issues-statement-cpu-crashes-193504163.html

That would be annoying for someone whose livelihood depends on a functioning computer. That's probably most of us.

Yep. There's truth to this. I've known about this for about a month now, being as I try to keep up on such things since I build my own computers.

It's worse than causing "crashes," though: it places the CPU (and indirectly the associated cooling systems) at a too aggressive operating point that could, over time, reduce the longevity of the systems. Not to mention waste power and muck up performance from inevitable CPU frequency throttling, and maybe eventually cause some crashing in the long run.

Here's a JayzTwoCents video demonstrating the problem and how to fix it, using an ASUS motherboard as an example. It's an easy to fix solution in the BIOS, although going into the BIOS is asking a lot (probably too much) for the average computer owner/user.

But yeah, it's bad and shouldn't* happen.

*(I mean that as a normative claim, as in "it aught not be something that should happen, even if it is actually happening.)

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and Astronuc
Klystron said:
How so, Dubya-dubya? Also, which secure first or second tier search engine do you prefer?

(Apologies for responding to an older post. Still recovering from major surgery late in 2023.)
Well, when I ask for, e.g., movie times for, say, movie x on October 2023, I get results for cities y,z,w on June of 2017.

Have a fast recovery. And Hava Nagila/Tequila.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
An animated ad that I saw on msnbc web site this morning. Soooo many questions about this dog and its owner. :olduhh:

WhatTheHellKindOfTrainingGadgetIsThat.JPG

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
Borg said:
An animated ad that I saw on msnbc web site this morning. Soooo many questions about this dog and its owner. :olduhh:

View attachment 344442
Ive seen arguments, claims, to the effect that only some types/breeds of dogs help prevent or fight break ins. Their general friendliness doesn't help in this respect.

Last edited:
People are amazed at my being able to figure out if a number is divisible by 7 even after I show them an easy trick. Just partition a number, so that each part is divisible by 7. Then, e.g., 2849, 2863 , are both divisible by 7, since each of 28, 49 , and 63 are. Similarly, 1751 is,divisible by 17. But then again, the person expressing amazement is someone who says " wow, so close!" when dividing a number by 2 and seeing a reminder of 1.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark, Haborix, jack action and 1 other person
I don't understand why people put together code examples with the imports scattered throughout the example. I just spent a half hour installing various libraries as I copied and pasted code - only to find out halfway down that the environment that I was using wouldn't work with one of the imports. If all of the imports were at the top where they belong, I could have discovered this right away. Arrrgh.

Likes Ibix
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 2.58.40 PM.png

I have found similar effects when wanting a date. The more you are interested in impressing someone, the less successful you will be.

Likes Borg, collinsmark, Bystander and 2 others
It's a tedious feeling to finally have ambitions of doing a Ph.d, but your last semester grades were so bad that even a perfect run of good grades from now on is likely to affect my future application.

I know it's not that way.

I really know it's not that way.

But still... it's a really weird feeling to see the '100% recycled' on toilette papers... :doh:

• Haha
Likes Borg and WWGD
Rive said:
I know it's not that way.

I really know it's not that way.

But still... it's a really weird feeling to see the '100% recycled' on toilette papers... :doh:
A frat played that in some school, with a ( fake)bin to recycle toilet paper and tampons. I heard about it but can't verify it.

Why do I get an error 156 using EXCEPT, when the two queries are identical, use exact same rows in same table in Sql Server, and each one separately runs without any problem ?

The Bottom of Internet: when in a tooth-and-nail dietary debate it's about the harms of that minuscule amount of additives in the salt on the fast food (!) fried potato o_O

Great. Just spent half an hour with troubleshooting (no light) an automatic lamp (the kind with a light sensor). :doh:

Ok, good, you can script the relations between users and roles. Now I can really send the database. Though not sure on the actual data files.

Rive said:
Great. Just spent half an hour with troubleshooting (no light) an automatic lamp (the kind with a light sensor). :doh:
Take that with a pinch of salt( In your potato)

Wonders of modern(ish) network hardware when paired with modern(ish) security erm... paranoia erm... lameness.
1715606862773.png

After 1992, Claude Van Damme almost Van Ished.

Rive said:
Wonders of modern(ish) network hardware when paired with modern(ish) security erm... paranoia erm... lameness.
View attachment 345162
Have you tried Wireshark ( Open source)?

WWGD said:
Have you tried...
Company stuff. The SW dev guys at the other desk had a though fight even just to have some Linux running, and at the end they were banished to an isolated network with that...

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Correlation vs. Causation - a gym story.

I am usually the first person each morning to arrive in the gym at work. If the TV is on, it is usually on ESPN and when I go into the locker room, fans are left on, locker doors are left wide open and usually the scale is left at 160 pounds. If the TV is off, it was on CNN when I turn it on and fans are off, lockers are closed, and the scale is at zero. ESPN isn't making a mess and CNN isn't cleaning up but there is definitely a pattern.

Here is a selfie (first one for me) I took when I was getting a root canal.
IMG_0758.jpg

I wanted to see what they had over my mouth.
I don't think this could be very useful for a facial recognition program if were to do some crimeing.
I'm wearing shades for the bright lights and there is some kind of silicon rubber sheet over my mouth with the tooth being worked on poking through a hole. I guess this keeps mouth fluids from contaminating the drilled out root canal until it gets filled.

Ok, that slight accent that kept distracting me: salary, not celery.