Magnetic field due to semi-circular wire

In summary: You should be able to get the same answer either way.Yes horizontal components cancel for a full circle, but not for a semi-cricle. Do the integration for horizontal and components separately. You should be able to get the same answer either way.
ks_wann
So, I've got a wire with a semicircle about the origin, my task is to find the magnetic field at M=(0,0,z).

I want to use Biot-Savart, so I find dl', r and r-hat. (r being the vector from the source point to field point)

\begin{equation}
r^{2}=R^{2}+z^{2}\\
\mathbf{r}=R\cos{\theta}\mathbf{\hat{i}}+R\sin{\theta}\mathbf{\hat{j}}+z\mathbf{\hat{k}}\\
d\mathbf{l^{\prime}}=Rd\theta \mathbf{\hat{\theta}}

\end{equation}

With these identified, I use biot-savart:

\begin{equation}
\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{4\pi}\int\frac{d\mathbf{l^{ \prime}}\times\mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^{2}}
\end{equation}

What troubles me is the cross product. I get

\begin{equation}
d\mathbf{l^{\prime}}\times\mathbf{\hat{r}}=\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^{2}+z^{2}}} \mathbf{\hat{\theta}}\times(R\cos\theta \mathbf{\hat{i}}+R\sin\theta \mathbf{\hat{j}}+z\mathbf{\hat{k}})
\end{equation},

and I'm not sure what to make of it as the unit vector would change all the way through the semicircle.

Attachments

• Wire.jpg
    Wire.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 2,726
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a case where the angle between [itex] \vec{dl'} [/itex] and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is always the same so it is much better to simply use the right hand rule to find the direction and use [itex] dl' \, \sin \theta [/itex] to find the magnitude. If you absolutely want to use a cross product, write instead [itex] \vec{dl'} [/itex] as [itex] dl' \, \hat{\theta} [/itex].

Okay. So I basically just state that the field points downwards in the case of z=0, and get
\begin{equation} \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi} \int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta^{2}} \frac{R}{(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}} \sin{\theta} d \theta \end{equation}?

What about the change in direction with increasing z?

Consider a small segment of the wire of length ##d\vec l##, producing a small magnetic flux density ##d\vec B## at position ##\vec r## away from the wire.

Hint: what can you say about the direction of ##d\vec l## and ## \hat r##?

34q42ts.png

Also, expressing ##dl = R \space d\phi## will make your integral much easier. Exploit symmetries instead of diving straight into Cartesian cross products..

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Consider a small segment of the wire of length ##d\vec l##, producing a small magnetic flux density ##d\vec B## at position ##\vec r## away from the wire.

Hint: what can you say about the direction of ##d\vec l## and ## \hat r##?

Well, ##d\vec l ## and ##\hat r## are perpendicular at all times. I see that for a full circle, all the horizontal components will cancel, thus giving me ##B(z)##. Am I missing something?

I'm sadly not very good at identifying and exploiting symmetries..

ks_wann said:
Well, ##d\vec l ## and ##\hat r## are perpendicular at all times. I see that for a full circle, all the horizontal components will cancel, thus giving me ##B(z)##. Am I missing something?

I'm sadly not very good at identifying and exploiting symmetries..

Yes horizontal components cancel for a full circle, but not for a semi-cricle. Do the integration for horizontal and components separately.

Related to Magnetic field due to semi-circular wire

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a semi-circular wire?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a semi-circular wire is B = (μ0I)/(4πr), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the center of the wire.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field change as you move away from the wire?

The direction of the magnetic field due to a semi-circular wire is perpendicular to the wire at all points. As you move away from the wire, the strength of the magnetic field decreases, but the direction remains the same.

3. How does the magnetic field change if the current in the wire is increased?

If the current in the wire is increased, the strength of the magnetic field also increases. This is because the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current in the wire.

4. How does the magnetic field change if the distance from the wire is increased?

If the distance from the wire is increased, the strength of the magnetic field decreases. This is because the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

5. Can the magnetic field due to a semi-circular wire be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, external magnetic fields can influence the magnetic field due to a semi-circular wire. This is because magnetic fields can interact with each other and change the direction and strength of the overall magnetic field.