Good source of problems for multivariate calculus

In summary, the person is preparing for a Ph.D. qualifying exam in math and is looking for resources to practice tricky integrals involving Green's, Gauss', and Stokes' theorems. They have a strong foundation in integral theory and differential forms and are seeking help from online forums, textbooks, and fellow peers and professors.
eof
Hi,

I have this qualifying exam coming up in about a month for my Ph.D. program in math. I just noticed that my European undergraduate education covered nothing about actually calculating any tricky integrals. It was only about Riemann sums and proving properties of the integral which I know very well including the theory of differential forms.

I noticed that old exams had some questions where you had to evaluate some tricky integral. Does anyone know a good source of tricks and problems for integrals i.e. something where you could get to hammer on non-trivial problems involving Green's Gauss' and Stokes' theorem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Congratulations on your upcoming Ph.D. qualifying exam! It sounds like you have a strong foundation in integral theory and differential forms, which will definitely be helpful in tackling tricky integrals.

In terms of finding resources for practicing tricky integrals, I would recommend checking out online forums and communities dedicated to math and science. These often have sections specifically for sharing and solving challenging problems, and you may be able to find some involving Green's, Gauss', and Stokes' theorems.

Additionally, many math textbooks have sections or entire chapters dedicated to solving integrals, so you may want to review some of your old textbooks or check out new ones from your university library.

Lastly, don't forget about your professors and peers! They may have some helpful tips or practice problems for you to work on. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Good source of problems for multivariate calculus

1. What is multivariate calculus?

Multivariate calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of multiple variables. It involves the use of calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and limits to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. Why is it important to study multivariate calculus?

Multivariate calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for modeling and solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to understand and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables.

3. What are some applications of multivariate calculus?

Some common applications of multivariate calculus include optimization problems, curve fitting, motion in three-dimensional space, and multivariate differential equations. It is also used in image and signal processing, machine learning, and data analysis.

4. What are some good sources for problems in multivariate calculus?

Good sources for problems in multivariate calculus include textbooks, online resources, and practice problem sets. Many universities also have past exams and assignments available for students to use as practice.

5. How can I improve my skills in multivariate calculus?

To improve your skills in multivariate calculus, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as tutoring or online courses. Additionally, making connections to real-world applications can deepen your understanding of the subject.