Formulating Fubini's Theorem for Lebesgue Integrable Functions

In summary, the initial integral is equal to $\frac{1}{2}$ and the final integral is equal to $\frac{y}{1+y^2}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello!

I want to use Fubini's theorem for $L^1(\mathbb{R}^n \times \mathbb{R}^m)$ functions in order to find the integral $\int_0^{+\infty} \frac{\sin x}{x} \left( \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x}-e^{-x} \right) dx$.

There is a hint that we should find $\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy$.$\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy= \int_0^{1} \int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy=\int_0^{+\infty} \int_0^{1} y \sin x e^{-xy} dy dx$

$\int_0^1 y e^{-xy} dy=-\frac{e^{-x}}{x}-\frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^2}$

So, $\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy=\int_0^{\infty} \sin x \left( -\frac{e^{-x}}{x}-\frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^2} \right) dx$.

So now we got the wanted integral. How do we continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello!

I want to use Fubini's theorem for $L^1(\mathbb{R}^n \times \mathbb{R}^m)$ functions in order to find the integral $\int_0^{+\infty} \frac{\sin x}{x} \left( \frac{1-e^{-x}}{x}-e^{-x} \right) dx$.

There is a hint that we should find $\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy$.$\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy= \int_0^{1} \int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy=\int_0^{+\infty} \int_0^{1} y \sin x e^{-xy} dy dx$

$\int_0^1 y e^{-xy} dy=-\frac{e^{-x}}{x}-\frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^2}$

So, $\int_{(0,+\infty) \times (0,1)} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy=\int_0^{\infty} \sin x \left( -\frac{e^{-x}}{x}-\frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^2} \right) dx$.

So now we got the wanted integral. How do we continue?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

How about evaluating the integral the other way around?
That is, starting with:
$$\int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx$$
(Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

How about evaluating the integral the other way around?
That is, starting with:
$$\int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx$$
(Wondering)

I found that $\int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx=\frac{y}{1+y^2}$ and so $\int_0^1 \int_0^{+\infty} y \sin x e^{-xy} dx dy=\frac{1}{2}$.

Am I right?

So from Fubini's theorem, the initial integral is equal to $\frac{1}{2}$, right?

Could you also help me formulate Fubini's theorem for Lebesgue integrable funtions?

Related to Formulating Fubini's Theorem for Lebesgue Integrable Functions

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is commonly used to find the total value or quantity of something by breaking it down into infinitely small parts and then adding them up.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning that it is calculated within a certain range. An indefinite integral has no limits and is represented as an antiderivative, or the reverse process of finding a function's original derivative.

What are the different methods for calculating an integral?

Some common methods for calculating an integral include using basic integration rules, such as the power rule or substitution rule, using integration by parts, and using numerical techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and personal preference.

Why is the calculation of an integral important in science?

The calculation of an integral is crucial in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the determination of important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement, and is used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

What are some common applications of integrals in science?

Some common applications of integrals in science include finding the area under a velocity-time graph to determine an object's displacement, calculating the work done by a force, determining the center of mass of an object, and solving differential equations to model real-world phenomena.