Finding the period of 2 multiplied trig functions

In summary, the period of a function can be found by taking the least common multiple of the two frequencies.
pags920
I am trying the period of 2 cosine functions that are multiplied with each other, but I am blanking out on how to find them.

For example, given a function like:

x(t) = cos(10*pi*t)cos(20*pi*t)

I know it has something to do with the frequency of both functions (10*pi & 20*pi), but I cannot remember it and I cannot find it anywhere else. If someone can give me the first part or two of trying to find it, I am hoping it will click.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
pags920 said:
I am trying the period of 2 cosine functions that are multiplied with each other, but I am blanking out on how to find them.

For example, given a function like:

x(t) = cos(10*pi*t)cos(20*pi*t)

I know it has something to do with the frequency of both functions (10*pi & 20*pi), but I cannot remember it and I cannot find it anywhere else. If someone can give me the first part or two of trying to find it, I am hoping it will click.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Nick

The formula is near the bottom of this page:

http://www.themathpage.com/atrig/trigonometric-identities.htm

(BTW, I found it using a Google search on: cos a cos b)

pags920 said:
I know it has something to do with the frequency of both functions

You must use trig to understand the frequency of each function, but once you do that getting the answer doesn't depend on the fact that you are dealing with trig functions. There should be a method that works for any type of periodic function. Try taking the least common multiple of the two frequencies.

When you get into problems like finding the frequency of sin(10 pi t + 6) cos( 20 pi t + 4), trig might be useful, but I wonder if it is necessary. For example: Given the period of f(x) is 3 and the period of g(x) is 9, what is the period of f(x-7)g(x+4) ? Does this problem have a definite answer? It's too late at night for me to think about it!

Related to Finding the period of 2 multiplied trig functions

1. What is the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. It is the distance along the x-axis between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the function.

2. How do you find the period of a trigonometric function?

To find the period of a trigonometric function, you can use the formula: Period = 2π / b, where b is the coefficient of the independent variable inside the trigonometric function. If there is no coefficient, then the period is simply 2π.

3. What is the difference between finding the period of a sine function and a cosine function?

The period of a sine function is the same as the period of a cosine function. However, the phase shift (or horizontal displacement) of the two functions may differ, causing them to have different starting points on the x-axis. This can make the graphs of the two functions look slightly different.

4. Can the period of a trigonometric function be negative?

No, the period of a trigonometric function cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents a distance along the x-axis.

5. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a trigonometric function?

The period and frequency of a trigonometric function have an inverse relationship. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The frequency of a function is the number of cycles it completes in one unit of time, while the period is the length of one cycle.