Yes, that helps clarify things. Thank you for the explanation.

In summary, receiving clarification and explanation can greatly aid in understanding a concept or situation. It is important to express gratitude for the information provided and acknowledge its usefulness in gaining clarity. Being an expert summarizer, it is best to stick to providing a concise summary without any additional comments or responses.
maverick_starstrider
Is there a non-local hidden variable theory that accounts for things like BEC's? Did Bahm's original one? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick_starstrider said:
Is there a non-local hidden variable theory that accounts for things like BEC's? Did Bahm's original one? Thanks in advance.

According to standard Bohmian theory, there is equivalence between orthodox QM and Bohmian interpretations. Demystifier is one of our experts on the subject. Check out some of the existing threads that discuss this, such as:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314073&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=320334&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313041&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

DrChinese said:
According to standard Bohmian theory, there is equivalence between orthodox QM and Bohmian interpretations. Demystifier is one of our experts on the subject. Check out some of the existing threads that discuss this, such as:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314073&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=320334&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313041&highlight=demystifier+bohmian

These threads are very interesting, however I can't say I see how any of these discussions provide a framework/explanation for something like a BEC in a non-local hidden variable theory (although it's possible I missed the relevant discussion). To me, I can not fathom how a non-local hidden variable theory could replicate the experimentally observed predictions/existance of a BEC. Although I'm very curious to read what people have to say on this.

Maverick, in order to understand how Bohmian interpretation explains BEC, one first need to understand how standard QM explains BEC. Namely, ALL equations valid in standard QM are valid also in Bohmian QM. The ONLY element of standard QM missing in Bohmian QM is the wave function collapse. Instead of the vague concept of collapse, Bohmian QM adds one additional equation that explains how observables take definite values in experiments without a collapse. However, the collapse (measurement) does not play an essential role for BEC's, so Bohmian QM does not say much new about BEC's.

All this means that I do not understand what exactly do you find problematic about BEC's and why exactly do you think that hidden variables might help. So here is a deal. You first explain to me how do you understand BEC in standard QM and what exactly do you find problematic about it, and then I will explain to you how Bohmian QM may help.

Demystifier said:
Maverick, in order to understand how Bohmian interpretation explains BEC, one first need to understand how standard QM explains BEC. Namely, ALL equations valid in standard QM are valid also in Bohmian QM. The ONLY element of standard QM missing in Bohmian QM is the wave function collapse. Instead of the vague concept of collapse, Bohmian QM adds one additional equation that explains how observables take definite values in experiments without a collapse. However, the collapse (measurement) does not play an essential role for BEC's, so Bohmian QM does not say much new about BEC's.

All this means that I do not understand what exactly do you find problematic about BEC's and why exactly do you think that hidden variables might help. So here is a deal. You first explain to me how do you understand BEC in standard QM and what exactly do you find problematic about it, and then I will explain to you how Bohmian QM may help.

It is rather that I don't see how something like a bohmian interpertation CAN explain coherent phenomena like BEC's that require the wavefunction to be a real thing (at least in every derivation I've seen) and particles to be indistinguishable. Does not the concept of hidden particles with well defined positions destroy that?

maverick_starstrider said:
It is rather that I don't see how something like a bohmian interpertation CAN explain coherent phenomena like BEC's that require the wavefunction to be a real thing (at least in every derivation I've seen) and particles to be indistinguishable. Does not the concept of hidden particles with well defined positions destroy that?
OK, now I think I understand your question. Here is the explanation:
In Bohmian mechanics the wave function IS a real thing. For bosons, this wave function is symmetric under the exchange of particle coordinates. This is just like as that in standard QM.
However, in Bohmian mechanics the wave function is NOT THE ONLY real thing. In addition, there are also pointlike particles with definite positions. This means that particles are indistinguishable on the level of wave functions, but distinguishable on the level of particle positions.

Does it help?

Related to Yes, that helps clarify things. Thank you for the explanation.

What is a BEC?

A BEC, or Bose-Einstein condensate, is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, typically near absolute zero. In this state, a large number of bosons (particles with integer spin) occupy the same quantum state, resulting in their behavior becoming indistinguishable from each other.

What are hidden variables?

Hidden variables are theoretical properties or quantities that are not directly observable, but are thought to affect the behavior of a physical system. In the context of quantum mechanics, hidden variables are used to explain the apparent randomness of quantum events and to reconcile it with classical mechanics.

How are BECs and hidden variables related?

BECs and hidden variables are both concepts that arise in the field of quantum mechanics. While BECs involve a large number of particles occupying the same quantum state, hidden variables are used to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Some theories propose that hidden variables may play a role in the formation and behavior of BECs.

What is the significance of BECs and hidden variables?

BECs and hidden variables are important concepts in the study of quantum mechanics and have implications for understanding the behavior of matter at the smallest scales. The existence of BECs and the potential role of hidden variables in their formation and behavior could help scientists gain a better understanding of fundamental principles of the universe.

What are some potential applications of BECs and hidden variables?

BECs and hidden variables have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, precision measurement, and fundamental physics research. By studying BECs and hidden variables, scientists may be able to develop new technologies and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of the universe.