Year 11 Double variable derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the function y=a^2(3x+5)^3. The person is unsure if they should use the product rule and find values for both a and x, but they eventually realize that 'a' is a constant and they can treat it as a number. The derivative is found to be 9a^2(3x+5)^2.
DJ-Smiles
URGENT !Year 11 Double variable derivatives

I am having trouble with this question it is derivatives. Previously I have been able to complete these with no trouble but am a little confused with how start this one:
y= a^2(3x+5)^3.

I don't know whether to use the product rule and just leave it with two unknown variables or try and find a value for both a and x.

I tried this :
u= a^2
u'= 2a
v=(3x+5)^3
v= 9(3x+5)^2
y'= v'u +u'v
= 9a^2(3x+5)^2 + 2a(3x+5)^3
=a(3x+5)^2[2(3x+5) +9a)]
=a(3x+5)^2(6x+5+9a)

Help me please

Physics news on Phys.org

Is 'a' a variable or a constant?

I have no idea :( I am so lost and i need it for tomorrow :/ it's just basic differential calculus. what would you do?

I think it's a constant, meaning that y = f(x) :).
Then you just treat 'a' as a number.
Think you can do it from here?

Ok um can you guide me through it ?

Well, since a^2 is just a number, you don't have to do anything with it.
So what's the derivative of (3x+5)^3 ?

so it would be 9(3x+5)^2? is the working i did at the top correct ? btw thanks heaps for your help

Sure, no problem. Yeah it's right :) then that times a^2

does that mean I don't need to use the derivative of a^2

Yes, because you're taking the derivative with respect to x. 'a' isn't a function of x, so the derivative of 'a' is simply 0.
So the whole derivative is 9a^2(3x+5)^2.

Ohh thanks Lol I understand now! :)

Related to Year 11 Double variable derivatives

1. What is the concept of double variable derivatives in Year 11?

The concept of double variable derivatives in Year 11 refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to two different variables. This involves taking partial derivatives with respect to each variable and then combining them using the chain rule.

2. What are the applications of double variable derivatives?

Double variable derivatives have various applications in the fields of physics, engineering, economics, and other sciences. They are used to model and analyze multi-variable systems, such as motion in two or three dimensions, economic systems with multiple variables, and more.

3. What is the difference between a single variable and double variable derivative?

The main difference between a single variable and double variable derivative is the number of variables involved. Single variable derivatives only consider the change in one variable, while double variable derivatives take into account the change in two variables simultaneously.

4. How do you find double variable derivatives using the chain rule?

To find double variable derivatives using the chain rule, you first take the partial derivative of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you multiply these partial derivatives by the corresponding rates of change of the variables and add them together to get the total rate of change.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with double variable derivatives?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with double variable derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the order of the partial derivatives, and not taking into account the different rates of change for each variable. It is also important to double-check your work and simplify your final answer as much as possible.