Writing impulse in vector notation

In summary, the impulse of force on the baseball when it strikes the bat can be calculated by taking the change in momentum in the x and y directions, using the equations P=mv and ΔP=J, and then combining them into a vector equation. In this case, the impulse was found to be -26i - 7.5j, indicating a decrease in the ball's momentum in the x-direction and an increase in the y-direction.
xxascendantxx

Homework Statement

A baseball strikes a bat. It's moving at 40m/s to the left horizontally. When it hits the bat it leaves at 60m/s with an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. The mass of the ball is 0.25kg.

Homework Equations

P(momentum)=mv
Pf-Pi=ΔP
ΔP=J(impulse)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are speaking in vector terms I would assume that 60 should be negative. But anyways the question asks to write the net impulse in vector notation. It reads it as J=Jxi + Jyj. Since change in momentum(delta P) is equal to impulse; If I was trying to find the impulse in each direction like the question asks, how could I do it?

I was thinking I could do:

the impulse for the x-direction should be: (0.25)(-60cos30) - (0.25)(40cos0)
the impulse for the y-direction should be: (0.25)(-60sin30) - (0.25)(-60sin0)

I ended up with: J=-26i -7.5j

Is this correct?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I will assume the 30 degrees is above horizontal.
It's not that the 60m/s should be read as -60 (which affects both horizontal and vertical), but that the 30 degrees should be read as 150 degrees in relation to the initial velocity. Note that this makes the vertical change positive, as it should be.

If home plate is the origin, and the horizontal direction away from home plate is the positive x-direction, and the upward direction is the positive y-direction, then then

initial x momentum = -(0.25)(40)
initial y momentum = 0

final x-momentum = +(0.25)(60 cos(30))
final y-momentum = +(0.25)(60 sin(30))

Impulse of force = change in momentum = (final momentum) - (initial momentum)

Related to Writing impulse in vector notation

1. What is "writing impulse in vector notation"?

Writing impulse in vector notation is a mathematical representation of the change in momentum of an object. It involves using vector notation, which uses arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of a quantity, to describe the impulse acting on an object.

2. Why is vector notation used to write impulse?

Vector notation is used to write impulse because it allows for a more comprehensive representation of the physical quantity. In vector notation, both the magnitude and direction of the impulse can be easily conveyed, making it a more accurate and precise way to describe the change in momentum.

3. How is impulse calculated using vector notation?

To calculate impulse using vector notation, you need to know the initial and final momentum of the object, as well as the time interval over which the impulse acts. You can then use the formula I = Δp = mΔv, where I is the impulse, Δp is the change in momentum, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

4. What are the advantages of using vector notation for writing impulse?

One of the main advantages of using vector notation for writing impulse is that it allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of the physical quantity. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the direction of the impulse, which is important in analyzing the motion of objects.

5. Are there any equations that can be used to calculate impulse in vector notation?

Yes, there are several equations that can be used to calculate impulse in vector notation, including the impulse-momentum theorem (I = Δp), the definition of impulse (I = FΔt), and the Newton's second law formula (I = maΔt). It is important to choose the appropriate equation based on the given information and the desired representation of the impulse.