Work/Energy in the introduction to dynamics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the debate of whether it is necessary to extensively teach work/energy in introductory courses on rigid body dynamics for mechanical engineers. Some argue that it is important to introduce the terms, but others believe it is not necessary and that students would better benefit from focusing on extracting equations of motion. However, it is also mentioned that the concept of conservation of energy is difficult to grasp and may warrant more discussion in order for students to fully understand it. Some feel that topics such as work/energy are elevated in the curriculum, while others believe it is important in understanding concepts such as Hamilton's Principle.
observer1
An introductory course in rigid body dynamics for mechanical engineers introduces kinematics, then kinetis and then work/energy.

Can I ask for your opinions?

Is this necessary?

I can see the need to discuss work/energy to understand Hamilton's Principle.

But is there any reason to labor students with this topic and to the extent it is currently taught in most introductory textbooks?

As I see it, the Work/Energy/Potential Energy topic is good for cases where there is little to no dissipation. And it allows for rapid back-of-envelope checking of solutions.

But in the current pedagogy, it seems disordanatly elevated. And as a result, students see it as a whimsical alternative to getting equations (and do lots of roller coaster problems).

Yes, it is important to introduce the terms. But I have only really learned it when studying differential forms. It seems we waste too much time teaching work/enegy in the undergraduate curriculum, when they really need to understand how to extract equations of motion. Once the students get to the real world, they never use Work/energy solutions, excpet insofar as Hamilton's Principle, etc.

May I ask for your opinions on this?

(And, yes, I appear to be contradicting myself, esp. with regard to my other question on virutal work... so be it.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of conservation of energy is well known but really difficult to grasp for most people. Probably because it is too abstract (say compared to conservation of mass). So I don't think you can talk about it too much.

The best example I can think of are the endless discussions about what is more important for vehicle performance: Engine power or torque? When you fully grasp the concept of conservation of energy, this is a no brainer. But start that discussion with students in mechanical engineering and you won't hear the end of it.

You need to learn more than blindly follow mathematical procedures. You need to fully understand the guiding principles behind those equations.

Related to Work/Energy in the introduction to dynamics

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy through a force applied over a distance. It is a measure of the amount of energy required to move an object.

2. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the measure of energy transfer, and energy is the ability to do work. They are both measured in the same units (joules) and are interchangeable in many equations.

3. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. This can be expressed as the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the unit of work and energy?

The unit of work and energy is the joule (J). One joule is equivalent to one newton-meter (N*m). This unit is used because it represents the amount of energy required to apply a force of one newton over a distance of one meter.

5. How does work/energy relate to motion?

Work and energy are essential concepts in understanding motion. When work is done on an object, it gains energy, which can then be used to change the object's motion. The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy.