Work and Power of the Friction Force in an F=-bυ damped oscillation

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, the damped oscillator loses energy due to friction, and the work done by the frictional force is equal to the energy lost.
karkas
Hey there forum!

Consider a damped oscillation in which the friction force is F=-bυ.
What I want to ask is how do you calculate the work done by this force for any x interval along a line and what is the Power of the work done by this force?

I already know that Power P of the work done due to a force F is P=Fυ, therefore substituting would give P=-bυ2. But I cannot derive the equation P=Fυ from my equations.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there karkas! :smile:
karkas said:
I cannot derive the equation P=Fυ from my equations.

Fv = force times speed = force times distance per time = work done per time = energy per time = power = P :wink:

Yea, thanks tiny-tim ! I got that solved too, but I'm kinda still stuck as to calculating the work done by the force F=-bυ, say during T/2 of the oscillation.

All I know is that [itex]W=\int_{0}^{A}Fds[/itex] but can't work on it. Doesn't really matter though, since the question that I wabted to answer is answered now!

Perhaps it's a minor point, but the frictional force does not do work. It's better to do these calculations from the energy perspective. For a damped oscillator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

You can calculate v(t) and from that, the kinetic energy. The difference between the kinetic energy at time t and time '0' is the cumulative amount of dissipated energy from friction. You can also calculate this in terms of the power (energy * time) if you wish.

Boy, you're a genius! Thanks for changing my perspective, that's hella much wiser. But I think that in a damped oscillation (the underdamped one) there is a work of the frictional force and it expresses the energy lost by the system.

So in such an oscillation, where [itex]A=A_0 e^{-kt}, k=b/2m[/itex] the work done by the frictional forces equals to [itex]W= E - E_0 = 1/2 DA^2 - 1/2DA_0^2[/itex] right?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm following you, but for the underdamped case where x(t) = x_0 exp (-ct/2m)cos (w_d t), the velocity is then v(t) = x_0 * c/2m * w_d * exp (-ct/2m) sin(w_d t) and the frictional loss of energy g(t)= 1/2m(v_0^2-v(t)^2) which may reduce to your result every 1/2 period.

Edit- this is true for the restrcited case x = 0. Otherwise, the potential energy of the spring [1/2 kx(t)^2] has to be included.

In any case, I'm glad to be of help!

Last edited:

Related to Work and Power of the Friction Force in an F=-bυ damped oscillation

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. In the context of physics, it is measured as the product of a force applied over a distance.

2. How is work related to the friction force in an F=-bυ damped oscillation?

In an F=-bυ damped oscillation, the friction force acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing a decrease in kinetic energy. This decrease in energy is equivalent to the work done by the friction force.

3. What is the power in an F=-bυ damped oscillation?

The power in an F=-bυ damped oscillation is the rate at which work is done. It is calculated as the change in work over the change in time.

4. How does the friction force affect the amplitude of an F=-bυ damped oscillation?

The friction force causes a decrease in the amplitude of an F=-bυ damped oscillation over time. This is because the energy lost due to friction is not being replenished, leading to a decrease in the oscillation's maximum displacement.

5. Can the friction force be eliminated in an F=-bυ damped oscillation?

No, the friction force cannot be completely eliminated in an F=-bυ damped oscillation. However, its effects can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction or by implementing lubricants or other techniques to reduce friction.