Word: won't autosave - file in use

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with Word not being able to autosave a document due to it being in use by another process. The individual has tried rebooting their computer and running a virus scan but the issue persists. It is suggested that a macro virus may be causing the problem.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Word: won't autosave - "file in use"

(This is entirely unrelated to my earlier post about a Word problem).

I'm writing in a Word doc as I've been doing for several days now. Today when I opened it up, after ten minutes (my autosave is set for ten minutes), it give me the following errors:

You cannot save while the file is in use by another process. Try saving the file by another name. And then Saving Autorecovery is postponed.

Obviously the Autosave is tryinbg to save to the write-locked doc.

Yet I have no problem saving the doc manually.

I would have thought closing the doc and the app and rebooting my computer would clear it but it's still happening. What process could start up from a reboot and be using my doc??

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you run a virus scan on your PC lately? If you are opening Word documents that were produced on other machines, it is possible that there is a macro virus of some type embedded in the file.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Have you run a virus scan on your PC lately? If you are opening Word documents that were produced on other machines, it is possible that there is a macro virus of some type embedded in the file.

Good idea. I did. But it's clean.

Related to Word: won't autosave - file in use

1. Why won't my document autosave?

There could be several reasons why your document won't autosave. One possibility is that the autosave feature is not enabled on your device or in your document program. Another possibility is that there is an error or glitch in the autosave function. Additionally, if your document is very large or contains complex formatting, it may not be able to autosave properly.

2. What does "file in use" mean?

"File in use" means that another program or user currently has the document open and is making changes to it. This can prevent the autosave feature from functioning properly, as it cannot save changes to a document that is already being edited.

3. How can I fix the "file in use" issue?

To fix the "file in use" issue, you can try closing any other programs that may have the document open. If another user has the document open, you may need to wait until they are finished editing or ask them to close the document. Alternatively, you may be able to make a copy of the document and work on that instead.

4. Can I manually save my document while it says "file in use"?

Yes, you can manually save your document while it says "file in use", but it may not save the most recent changes made by the other program or user. It is recommended to wait until the "file in use" issue is resolved before saving to ensure all changes are properly saved.

5. How can I prevent "file in use" errors in the future?

To prevent "file in use" errors in the future, make sure to properly close any programs and documents before attempting to save. Additionally, you can try saving your document to a different location or using a different document program that may have a more reliable autosave function.