Word problem, interested in the reasoning process

In summary, a 6-gallon radiator filled with a 40% solution of antifreeze in water needs to have 2.5 gallons of the solution drained and replaced with pure antifreeze to obtain a 65% solution. The reasoning process involves setting up equations based on the amount of antifreeze and water in the original solution, the amount drained and replaced, and the desired percentage of antifreeze in the new solution. Double-checking the work is important to ensure the correct solution is obtained.
mindauggas

Homework Statement

A 6-gallon radiator is filled with a 40% solution of antifreeze in water. How much of the solution must be drained and replaced with pure antifreeze to obtain a 65% solution?

The answer is given:
Ans. 2.5 gallons

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x be the amount of added pure antifreeze (which is equal to the amount drained from the original solution (or so I presume)).

Thus I reason

40/100*(6) is the amount of antifreeze in the orig. solution
60/100*(6) water
40/100*(6-x) is the amount of antifreeze after the drainage
60/100*(6-x) water
65/100*(6) is the amount of antifreeze in the new solution
35/100*(6) water

I recon that 40/100*(6-x)+60/100*(6-x)+65/100*(6) should be equal to the new full tank, so 6. But after the calculation i get 3,9, not 2,5.

I would be interested in the reasoning here especially, if someone will bother.

Physics news on Phys.org
mindauggas said:

Homework Statement

A 6-gallon radiator is filled with a 40% solution of antifreeze in water. How much of the solution must be drained and replaced with pure antifreeze to obtain a 65% solution?

The answer is given:
Ans. 2.5 gallons

Let x be the amount of added pure antifreeze (which is equal to the amount drained from the original solution (or so I presume)).

Thus I reason

60/100*(6) water
60/100*(6-x) water
35/100*(6) water

I recon that 40/100*(6-x)+60/100*(6-x)+65/100*(6) should be equal to the new full tank, so 6. But after the calculation i get 3,9, not 2,5.

You add x gallons of anitfreeze to the drained solution.

RGV

Could you expand on that? I actually do can't decode what you say...

mindauggas said:
Could you expand on that? I actually do can't decode what you say...

Look at the first sentence YOU wrote under heading 3.

RGV

How should your insight reflect in the proposed solution? Does it invalidate the reasoning process?

mindauggas said:

Homework Statement

The answer is given:
Ans. 2.5 gallons

Thus I reason

60/100*(6) water
60/100*(6-x) water
And (40/100)(6- x) was the amount of antifreeze after the drainage so (40/100)(6- x)+ x= (65/100)(6)

35/100*(6) water

[itex](40/100)(6- x)[/itex] is the amount of anti-freeze after draining and (60/100)(6- x) is the amount of water so you should add x anti-freeze. You added the total amount of anti-freeze in the radiator so the amount left in after draining is counted twice.

mindauggas said:
How should your insight reflect in the proposed solution? Does it invalidate the reasoning process?

It means that you added the wrong quantity.

RGV

HallsofIvy said:
And (40/100)(6- x) was the amount of antifreeze after the drainage so (40/100)(6- x)+ x= (65/100)(6)

the x value I get is 1,9 so I guess you were not proposing a solution here, but how come it;s not a solution if I have the antifreeze that's left and add only pure antifreeze (x) I should get the amount of antifreeze in the new admixture. But the answer is clearly incorrect.

HallsofIvy said:
[itex](40/100)(6- x)[/itex] is the amount of anti-freeze after draining and (60/100)(6- x) is the amount of water so you should add x anti-freeze.

Once again (40/100)(6- x)+(60/100)(6- x)+x=6 (if that's what you propose (i'm sorry if i misunderstood your intentions)) leads to incorrect answer: 1.2x = 0

mindauggas said:
the x value I get is 1,9 so I guess you were not proposing a solution here, but how come it;s not a solution if I have the antifreeze that's left and add only pure antifreeze (x) I should get the amount of antifreeze in the new admixture. But the answer is clearly incorrect.

Once again (40/100)(6- x)+(60/100)(6- x)+x=6 (if that's what you propose (i'm sorry if i misunderstood your intentions)) leads to incorrect answer: 1.2x = 0
No, (40/100)(6- 1)+ (60/100)(6- x)+ x= 6 leads to 6= 6! That equation does not yet use the new percentage.

Can someone help a little more, I need this one sorted out.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
mindauggas said:
the x value I get is 1,9 so I guess you were not proposing a solution here...
Double-check your work. I solved the equation in bold and I got x = 2.5.

eumyang said:
Double-check your work. I solved the equation in bold and I got x = 2.5.

Indeed I made a mistake.

Thank's to all for helping.

Related to Word problem, interested in the reasoning process

1. How do you approach solving word problems?

I approach solving word problems by first identifying the key information and variables given in the problem. Then, I use this information to create an equation or set of equations that represent the problem. Finally, I solve the equations to find the solution to the word problem.

2. What is the reasoning process used to solve word problems?

The reasoning process used to solve word problems involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This includes identifying the key information, creating equations, and using logical thinking and problem-solving skills to find the solution.

3. How do you check the accuracy of your solution to a word problem?

To check the accuracy of my solution, I re-read the problem to ensure that my solution makes sense in the context of the problem. I also use a calculator or other tools to double-check my calculations and make sure that my answer is correct.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving word problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving word problems include misreading or misinterpreting the problem, using incorrect formulas or equations, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving word problems?

To improve your skills in solving word problems, practice regularly and try to approach problems in different ways. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and use online resources and textbooks to learn different problem-solving strategies and techniques.