Winning Annoyance: Removing a Pesky Prize Banner

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help to remove a banner from their page that is constantly showing them an hourly prize. Various suggestions are given, such as changing internet settings, using ad-blocking software, or disabling specific banners. Some people express frustration with the constant pop-up ads, but others acknowledge that it helps keep the forum free.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
please help, i have this banner, telling me i have won
an hourly prize, that has instaled itself at the top of
pf page, how can i get rid of it its driving me nuts.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeah! That red one?
It's really annoying

you can go to internet option and set not to diplay pic...
But...Gred may take step to leave it as soon as possible :smile:

Download Mozilla Firebird. Install AdBlock. Done.

- Warren

Install Opera
press F12
click on "Refuse pop-up windows"

thanks a million all, it is about time all this c--p
is made illegal, i mean why should we spend time and
money bloking this stuff.

It's the marvelous free market, chum. Folks with the resources to harass you have a perfect right to do so.

I'm actually working on sifting through which banners are annoying, I can disable individual banners from appearing. If you see one you really really can't stand then find out what the company is and I'll disable them.

I know people don't like it, but I am working on making it as painless as possible. It is keeping PF free and allowing us to not depend soley on donations, keep that in mind.

From time to time, usually every other day, I will enbable the banner ad and click on a few. I don't mind the ads when I choose to see them and if it helps the forum, all the better.

Last edited:
if it helps PF it is tollerable, but i would rather
donate more than have that jiggly iritating thing.

Related to Winning Annoyance: Removing a Pesky Prize Banner

What is "Winning Annoyance: Removing a Pesky Prize Banner"?

"Winning Annoyance: Removing a Pesky Prize Banner" is a scientific research project that aims to develop effective methods for removing annoying and persistent prize banners that appear on websites and mobile apps.

Why is it important to remove pesky prize banners?

Pesky prize banners can be distracting and disruptive to users, making it difficult for them to navigate and use a website or app. They can also lead to unintentional clicks and downloads, potentially exposing users to security risks. Removing these banners can improve user experience and increase overall satisfaction.

What methods are being used to remove pesky prize banners?

Our research team is exploring a variety of methods, including artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, to accurately identify and remove pesky prize banners. We are also investigating the use of browser extensions and ad blockers as potential solutions.

What challenges are involved in removing pesky prize banners?

One of the main challenges is developing a method that can accurately distinguish between legitimate and pesky prize banners. These banners often utilize similar design and coding techniques as regular ads, making it difficult for traditional ad-blocking methods to differentiate between them.

When can we expect to see results from this research project?

As with any scientific research project, it is difficult to predict an exact timeline for results. However, our team is dedicated to finding an effective solution and we will continue to provide updates on our progress. Stay tuned for more information!