Wind Actions - Vortex Shedding

In summary: Fernandoguaiamum2010@gmail.comIn summary, the conversation is about dealing with wind induced forces and calculating the parameter "Kw" (effective correlation factor) for vortex shedding over a circular cylinder. The conversation also discusses the methods for calculating the parameter "L" which is a function of the maximum displacement "Ymax" and the variables b, St, Sc, and K. The conversation ends with a clarification of the variables and their meanings.
guaiamum
Please Help!

In dealing with wind induced forces, caused by vortex shedding action over a circular cylinder, we must calculate the parameter "Kw" (effective correlation factor), which depends on "L/b", "L" beeing the "correlation lenght" (Eurocode).

Is there any method, analytical (or empirical), we could use, in order to calculate the parameter "L"?

I do thank you for any kind of help!

Best regards

Luís Fernando
guaiamum2010@gmail.com

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you define your variables?

Thank you, "RandomGuy88"!

According to Eurocode, the largest displacement "Ymáx/b", due to vortex shedding, can be calculated using expression:

Ymáx/b = 1/St^2 x 1/Sc x K x Kw x Clat

I can determinate all of them, except "Kw", which is a function of the so called "correlation lenght" ("L"), which, in turn, is a function of "Ymáx".

And that´s the problem! How can I calculate "L"?

Sorry, if I was too much problematic, and for my bad english!

Best Regards

Luís Fernando
guaiamum2010@gmail.com

I have no idea what any of your variables mean. What is b, what is Ymax, what is St, Sc, K...

Is L length over which turbulent velocity fluctuations are correlated? Or is something completely different?

Hi, RandomGuy88!

The meaning of those variables, is:

b - Crosswind dimension
Ymax - Maximum displacement due to vortex shedding
St - Strouhal number
Sc - Scruton number
K - Mode shape factor
L - Lenght over which vortex shedding occurs
Kw - Effective correlation length factor

(See Eurocode 1 - Action on Structures - Part 1-4 - General Actions - Wind Actions)

Best Regards

Luís

Related to Wind Actions - Vortex Shedding

What is vortex shedding?

Vortex shedding is a phenomenon in which vortices (swirling air or fluid) are shed from a solid object as it moves through a fluid, such as air. This can create a pulsating or vibration effect on the object, which can have significant effects on its performance and structural integrity.

What causes vortex shedding?

Vortex shedding is caused by a combination of factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed and direction of the fluid flow, and the properties of the fluid itself. When these factors align in a certain way, vortices are formed and shed from the object.

How does vortex shedding affect structures?

Vortex shedding can have both positive and negative effects on structures. On one hand, it can create aerodynamic lift and stability, which is desirable for some structures like airplanes. On the other hand, it can cause vibrations and fatigue on structures, which can lead to structural failures if not properly accounted for in the design.

Can vortex shedding be controlled or mitigated?

Yes, vortex shedding can be controlled or mitigated through various methods, such as changing the shape or size of the object, altering the fluid flow, or adding structural elements to disrupt the formation of vortices. However, these methods can be complex and require careful consideration in the design process.

Why is understanding vortex shedding important in engineering?

Understanding vortex shedding is important in engineering because it can have significant impacts on the performance and safety of structures, particularly in fields such as aerospace and civil engineering. By understanding the causes and effects of vortex shedding, engineers can design structures that are more efficient, stable, and safe.