Wilson Theorem: Solving (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)

• Thread starter papacy
  • Start date
In summary, using Wilson's theorem, we can show that (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p) for any prime number p and natural number n. This is done by reducing (p-2)! to 1 in modulo p and using the fact that (p-1)! is congruent to -1 (mod p). Thus, the given expression simplifies to -n+1+n-1=0, proving the statement.
papacy
if p is prime and n is natural number, show that (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)

i think i have to show that (p-n+1) . (p-2)! = 0 (mod p) and n – 1 =0 (mod p)
using Wilson theorem
(p-1)!=-1(p)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
papacy said:
if p is prime and n is natural number, show that (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)

i think i have to show that (p-n+1) . (p-2)! = 0 (mod p) and n – 1 =0 (mod p)
using Wilson theorem
(p-1)!=-1(p)

Well, of course [itex]\,n-1\neq 0\pmod p\,[/itex] almost always. Working modulo p in the following:

$$(p-2)!=\frac{(p-1)!}{p-1}=\frac{-1}{-1}=1\Longrightarrow (p-n+1)(p-2)!+n-1=(-n+1)\cdot 1+n-1=-n+1+n-1=0$$

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Well, of course [itex]\,n-1\neq 0\pmod p\,[/itex] almost always. Working modulo p in the following:

$$(p-2)!=\frac{(p-1)!}{p-1}=\frac{-1}{-1}=1\Longrightarrow (p-n+1)(p-2)!+n-1=(-n+1)\cdot 1+n-1=-n+1+n-1=0$$

DonAntonio

thanks a lot.
very clever.
also i solve it inductances

Related to Wilson Theorem: Solving (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)

What is Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for any prime number p, (p-1)! is congruent to -1 (mod p). In other words, if p is a prime number, then (p-1)! + 1 is divisible by p.

What is the formula for solving (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)?

The formula is (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p).

How is Wilson's Theorem related to the formula (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)?

Wilson's Theorem is often used in conjunction with the formula (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p) to solve for the value of p. By substituting (p-1)! with -1 (mod p) in the formula, we can simplify it to p-n+1 + n–1 =0 (mod p), which can be further simplified to p=0 (mod p). This means that p is a factor of p, which is true for all prime numbers.

What is the significance of solving (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)?

Solving (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p) allows us to find the value of p, which can be useful in various mathematical problems and proofs. It also demonstrates the relationship between Wilson's Theorem and the formula, highlighting the power and applicability of modular arithmetic.

Are there any limitations to using Wilson's Theorem and the formula (p-n+1) . (p-2)! + n–1 =0 (mod p)?

Yes, there are a few limitations. First, Wilson's Theorem only applies to prime numbers, so it cannot be used for composite numbers. Second, the formula may not always yield a unique solution for p, as there may be multiple combinations of n and p that satisfy the equation. Lastly, the formula can be computationally intensive for large values of p, making it impractical for certain applications.