Willard's General Topology vs Dugundji's Topology

In summary, the individual has experience with Munkres' Topology and is looking to improve their understanding of point-set topology. They have narrowed down potential books to Willard's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology and are seeking insight from others who may have experience with these books. They are interested in a book that covers a wide range of topics and are aware that Willard may have less coverage of algebraic topology, but this is not a concern as they plan on reading additional books on the topic. They are seeking assistance from others in selecting a book and are particularly interested in Ryszard Engelking's General Topology.
Oats
Hello, I have read a fair chunk of Munkres' Topology book and took a short introductory course during undergraduate, but I would like to learn point-set topology a little better. I have quite a bit of mathematical maturity, so that isn't an issue for me. I had a larger list of potential books to use, but I narrowed it down to Willard's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with either one or both of these books, and can provide insight as to how they compare. It would be nice to have a book that covers as much as possible. I am aware that Willard covers less algebraic topology, but that in particular is fine since I am planning on reading some algebraic topology books afterwards anyways (I recognize I may be able to learn algebraic topology right now, but I am still very much interested in point-set topology). Can anyone here help? Thanks in advance for any response.

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Ryszard Engelking General Topology

Likes Demystifier

Related to Willard's General Topology vs Dugundji's Topology

1. What is the difference between Willard's General Topology and Dugundji's Topology?

Willard's General Topology is a comprehensive textbook that covers all aspects of general topology, including foundational concepts and advanced topics. Dugundji's Topology is a more focused textbook that delves deeper into certain areas of general topology, such as compactness and metrizability.

2. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners in topology?

Willard's General Topology is generally considered to be more beginner-friendly, as it provides a thorough introduction to the subject and covers a wider range of topics. However, Dugundji's Topology can also be suitable for beginners who are looking for a more focused approach.

3. Are there any major differences in the content between the two textbooks?

While both textbooks cover the same foundational concepts in general topology, they may differ in their coverage of advanced topics and the level of detail provided. Some topics may be covered more extensively in one textbook compared to the other.

4. Which textbook is more commonly used in topology courses?

This may vary depending on the institution and the instructor's preference. However, Willard's General Topology is generally considered to be a standard reference in the field and is used in many topology courses.

5. Can I use both textbooks simultaneously for my studies in general topology?

Yes, you can use both textbooks to supplement your studies in general topology. They may offer different perspectives and approaches to the subject, which can enhance your understanding and knowledge.