Will there be a difference between the readings of V1 and V2

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible difference between the readings of V1 and V2 in a circuit where the current is divided at point C. However, according to Ohm's law and the concept of equipotentials, V1 and V2 should give the same measurement. This is because the current is split in a way that ensures the same potential at both points. Additionally, the low resistance of the wires in the circuit further supports this.
prakhargupta3301
Poster reminded to use the Homework Help Template in the future for schoolwork posts
6863cf61e66c06281ee19ad3297b7593.jpg

I= Current flowing
V1= Voltmeter 1
V2= Voltmeter 2

My question is that if there would be any difference between the readings of V1 and V2?
We know that: By Ohm's law: V= I.R
also:
Combined resistance of R1 and R2 will be:
1/RCombined Resistance of R1 and R2= 1/R1+1/R2
The reading in V2 will be : (V2= I. Combined resistance of R1 and R2)
But the current flowing in the circuit will get divided into two unknown parts at point C.
Now, if the current I is being divided, then the reading of V1 should be different than V2.
This is my problem please guide me.
[/SUB]

Physics news on Phys.org
No. They will both give you a measurement equivalent to connecting the voltmeter between C and D.

Lines on a schematic diagram are considered equipotentials. That ought to answer your question ipso facto.

prakhargupta3301 said:
the current flowing in the circuit will get divided into two unknown parts at point C.
You can determine the ratio from the fact that the potential is the same, which means that...
prakhargupta3301 said:
if the current I is being divided, then the reading of V1 should be different than V2.
... no, it is divided in just such a way that V1and V2 are the same.

Likes CWatters
If you calculate the value of current (I) delivered by the battery cell, this value will be split so that a certain portion goes through r1, and the rest of the current goes through r2. The voltage measurements as you have configured will be practically the same, since the resistance of the wire is very low, compared to the components in the circuit.
Refer to this table of wire resistances for typical sizes of copper wiring. If you are using 20 gauge wire, it will take 1000 feet of wire to result in 10 ohms of resistance. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/wirega.html

Another way of looking at it is to consider the length of the of wires. The length of A-C, C-E, B-D & D-F are not specified so they could have zero length. This would mean A and E are in the same physical and electrical place, B and F likewise. Then it's obvious V1 and V2 must be the same.

Related to Will there be a difference between the readings of V1 and V2

1. What is V1 and V2?

V1 and V2 refer to the two different versions or measurements being compared in an experiment or study.

2. Why might there be a difference between the readings of V1 and V2?

There could be a difference between the readings of V1 and V2 due to various factors, such as measurement error, differences in experimental conditions, or natural variation in the data.

3. How can we determine if there is a significant difference between the readings of V1 and V2?

Statistical tests such as t-tests or ANOVA can be used to determine if there is a significant difference between the readings of V1 and V2. These tests take into account the sample size, variability, and the difference between the two measurements.

4. What should we do if there is a significant difference between the readings of V1 and V2?

If there is a significant difference between the readings of V1 and V2, further analysis should be conducted to understand the cause of the difference. This could involve examining the experimental setup, conducting additional experiments, or seeking expert advice.

5. Is it possible for there to be no difference between the readings of V1 and V2?

Yes, it is possible for there to be no difference between the readings of V1 and V2. This could occur if the two measurements are measuring the same thing or if the experimental conditions are carefully controlled to eliminate any potential differences.