Why z^1/2 real part is positive

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary: So it's just a matter of convention. :)In summary, the real part of the function f(z) = z^{\frac{1}{2}} does not have to be positive, as the expression represents two distinct values. However, by convention, the real part is typically taken to be positive when considering the principal argument and restricting the domain to get a one-to-one function.
Amer
as a function [tex] f(z) = z^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
why the real part is positive
My work
I looked into
[tex] g(z) = z^2 [/tex] , natural domain is the complex field
we can see that
[tex]g(z) = g(-z) [/tex] , g is not 1-1
if [tex] z = r e^{i\theta}[/tex]
[tex] -z = e^{i\pi} z = re^{i(\theta + \pi)} [/tex]
so we will restrict the domain to get one-one function so we will have the inverse f
how to restrict it, or how to solve it in another way
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Amer said:
as a function [tex] f(z) = z^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
why the real part is positive
My work
I looked into
[tex] g(z) = z^2 [/tex] , natural domain is the complex field
we can see that
[tex]g(z) = g(-z) [/tex] , g is not 1-1
if [tex] z = r e^{i\theta}[/tex]
[tex] -z = e^{i\pi} z = re^{i(\theta + \pi)} [/tex]
so we will restrict the domain to get one-one function so we will have the inverse f
how to restrict it, or how to solve it in another way
Thanks

Hi Amer! :)

The real part does not really have to be positive.
The expression $z^{\frac{1}{2}}$ represents 2 values.
Since:
$$z=re^{i\theta}=re^{i\theta + 2ik\pi}$$
$$z^{\frac 1 2} = (r e^{i\theta + 2ik\pi})^{\frac 1 2}=\sqrt r ~ e^{i \frac \theta 2 + ik\pi}$$
The two distinct values are $\sqrt r ~ e^{i \frac \theta 2}$ and $\sqrt r ~ e^{i (\frac \theta 2 + \pi)}$.

So either $\Re(z^{\frac 1 2}) = \sqrt r ~ \cos(\frac \theta 2)$ or $\Re(z^{\frac 1 2}) = \sqrt r ~ \cos(\frac \theta 2 + \pi)$.

If we pick $k=0$, and also $-\pi < \theta \le \pi$ (the principal argument), and look only at the first value, then the real part will be positive.

Last edited:

Related to Why z^1/2 real part is positive

1. Why is the real part of z^1/2 always positive?

The real part of z^1/2 is always positive because of the definition of square root in the complex plane. When we take the square root of a complex number, z, we are essentially finding the number, w, that when squared, gives us z. In other words, z = w^2. In the complex plane, this can be represented by a right triangle where the hypotenuse has a length of z and the other two sides have lengths of w. Since the length of a side cannot be negative, the real part of z^1/2 must be positive.

2. Can the real part of z^1/2 ever be negative?

No, the real part of z^1/2 cannot be negative. As mentioned before, the square root in the complex plane is defined as finding the number w that when squared, gives us z. Since the length of a side in a triangle cannot be negative, the real part of z^1/2 must be positive.

3. How does the argument of z affect the real part of z^1/2?

The argument of z, also known as the angle it makes with the positive real axis, does not affect the real part of z^1/2. This is because the argument only tells us the direction in which the complex number is pointing, not the magnitude of its real or imaginary parts. Therefore, the real part of z^1/2 will always be positive, regardless of the argument of z.

4. Can the real part of z^1/2 ever be zero?

Yes, the real part of z^1/2 can be zero in certain cases. This occurs when the complex number z is purely imaginary, meaning its real part is equal to zero. In this case, z^1/2 is also purely imaginary and its real part will be equal to zero. However, this is the only scenario where the real part of z^1/2 can be zero.

5. How does the magnitude of z affect the real part of z^1/2?

The magnitude of z does not directly affect the real part of z^1/2. However, the magnitude of z does affect the overall magnitude of z^1/2. For example, if the magnitude of z is large, then the magnitude of z^1/2 will also be large. However, the real part of z^1/2 will remain positive regardless of the magnitude of z.