Why the at term on the exponential turned positive

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach integrating the function e^2t between -∞ and 0 and the function e^-t between 0 and ∞. The discussion also addresses the change in sign of the a term when t is negative and suggests drawing a graph to better understand the function e^{|t|}.
Firepanda
Firstly, I don't get why the at term on the exponential turned positive (red arrow).. can someone explain that please?

291kgae.jpg

And how do I start on this? How do I split it up such that I can do it for t>0 and t=<0?

2li8pef.jpg

Do I just integrate e^2t between -inf and 0 and integrate e^-t between 0 and inf?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is |t| when t is negative?

dx said:
What is |t| when t is negative?

positive, ah I see now, thanks

still stuck on 2nd though

edit: actually why would that change the sign of the a?

Just split the integral into two parts, one on (-∞,0) and the other on (0,∞).

edit: actually why would that change the sign of the a?

You should really draw [itex]f(t)=e^{|t|}[/itex]. And then give a function that represents f(t) in the first quadrant and f(t) in the second quadrant.

|t| = -t by definition when t is negative.

Related to Why the at term on the exponential turned positive

1. Why does the at term on the exponential function turn positive?

The at term on the exponential function turns positive because it represents the value of the function at a specific point on the x-axis. If the x-value is positive, then the at term will also be positive.

2. What does the at term on the exponential function indicate?

The at term on the exponential function indicates the value of the function at a specific point on the x-axis. It is typically denoted as "f(x)" or "y" and represents the output or dependent variable in the function.

3. Why is the at term on the exponential function important?

The at term on the exponential function is important because it helps us to understand the behavior and properties of the function at a specific point. It also allows us to determine the maximum or minimum values of the function.

4. How does changing the x-value affect the at term on the exponential function?

Changing the x-value will also change the value of the at term on the exponential function. This is because the at term represents the value of the function at a specific x-value, so if the x-value changes, the at term will also change.

5. Can the at term on the exponential function ever be negative?

Yes, the at term on the exponential function can be negative if the x-value is negative and the function has a negative value at that point. However, if the function is always positive, then the at term will also always be positive.