Why is $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$ true for a transitive set $X$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: X$ is not a subset of $X$, so $xotin X$.$1 \to 4$: Let $x \in \bigcup X $. Then $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$. From $1$ we have that $xotin X$.$4 \to 2$: Let $x \in \bigcup X $. Then $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$. From $4$ we have that $y \in \mathcal{P}X \rightarrow y \subset X$.Since $x \in y$ we have that $x \in X$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Proposition

Let $X$ be a set. The following are equivalent:
  1. $X$ is transitive
  2. Each element of $X$ is a subset of $X$ $\left( \forall x(x \in X \rightarrow x \subset X) \right)$
  3. $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$
  4. $\bigcup X \subset X$

Could you explain me why this: $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$ holds?

When we have for example $X=\{ a, b, c \}$, then $x \in a \rightarrow x \in X$.
So, we see that $a \subset X \rightarrow a \in \mathcal{P}X$.
But why does it also hold that $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$ ? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Sentence
Proposition, or claim.

evinda said:
  1. $X$ is transitive
  2. Each element of $X$ is a subset of $X$ $\left( \forall x(x \in X \rightarrow x \subset X) \right)$
  4. $\bigcup X \subset X$

Could you explain me why this: $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$ holds?
It doesn't in general. It only holds if any of the other conditions hold.

evinda said:
Why do you say so? What are $a$, $b$ and $c$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Proposition, or claim.

A ok.. (Nod)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It doesn't in general. It only holds if any of the other conditions hold.

Could you explain me why it holds if for example the first condition holds? (Thinking)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Why do you say so? What are $a$, $b$ and $c$?

I thought so because $X$ is transitive. Am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
  1. $X$ is transitive
  4. $\bigcup X \subset X$

evinda said:
Could you explain me why it [$X \subset \mathcal{P}X$] holds if for example the first condition holds?
It's pretty straightforward to show that 1 implies 2 and 2 implies 3.

evinda said:
evinda said:
I thought so because $X$ is transitive. Am I wrong?
This sounds like the following dialog.

"John is a murderer and must go to jail."

"Which John? Every John? And why is he a murderer?"

"I mean, if John is a murderer, he must go to jail."

"Ah..."

You introduced $X$ by saying that $X=\{ a, b, c \}$ for unknown $a$, $b$ and $c$. Who told you that $X$ is transitive? Do you say, "If $X$ is transitive", i.e., are you assuming that $X$ is transitive? Then you should say so. For each statement that you write, you should indicate its status: whether it's an assumption, a theorem that you are starting to prove or it follows from some previous statement.

Also, in this:
evinda said:
it is not clear whether we see that $a \subset X$ implies $a \in \mathcal{P}X$ or that $a \subset X$ holds, and therefore $a \in \mathcal{P}X$ holds. To see the difference, $n>5$ implies $n>3$ for all $n$, but it is not true that for any $n$ it is the case that $n>5$ and therefore $n>3$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It's pretty straightforward to show that 1 implies 2 and 2 implies 3.This sounds like the following dialog.

"John is a murderer and must go to jail."

"Which John? Every John? And why is he a murderer?"

"I mean, if John is a murderer, he must go to jail."

"Ah..."

You introduced $X$ by saying that $X=\{ a, b, c \}$ for unknown $a$, $b$ and $c$. Who told you that $X$ is transitive? Do you say, "If $X$ is transitive", i.e., are you assuming that $X$ is transitive? Then you should say so. For each statement that you write, you should indicate its status: whether it's an assumption, a theorem that you are starting to prove or it follows from some previous statement.

Also, in this:

it is not clear whether we see that $a \subset X$ implies $a \in \mathcal{P}X$ or that $a \subset X$ holds, and therefore $a \in \mathcal{P}X$ holds. To see the difference, $n>5$ implies $n>3$ for all $n$, but it is not true that for any $n$ it is the case that $n>5$ and therefore $n>3$.

I am sorry... (Worried)(Tmi)

So can we show that the propositions are equivalent like that? $1 \to 2$: Let $x \in X$. Since $X$ is transitive we have that if $y \in x \rightarrow y \in X$. Therefore $x \subset X$.

$2 \to 3$: Let $x \in X$. Since we assume that $2$ holds we have that $x \subset X \rightarrow x \in \mathcal{P}X$.
Therefore $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$.

$3 \to 4$: Let $x \in \bigcup X$. Then $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$. From $3$ we have that $y \in \mathcal{P}X \rightarrow y \subset X$.
Since $x \in y$ we have that $x \in X$.
Therefore $\bigcup X \subset X$.

$4 \to 1$: Let $x \in \bigcup X $. Since $\bigcup X \subset X$ we have that $x \in X$.
But $x \in \bigcup X$ means that $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$.
How could we continue? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$1 \to 2$: Let $x \in X$. Since $X$ is transitive we have that if $y \in x \rightarrow y \in X$. Therefore $x \subset X$.

$2 \to 3$: Let $x \in X$. Since we assume that $2$ holds we have that $x \subset X \rightarrow x \in \mathcal{P}X$.
Therefore $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$.

$3 \to 4$: Let $x \in \bigcup X$. Then $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$. From $3$ we have that $y \in \mathcal{P}X \rightarrow y \subset X$.
Since $x \in y$ we have that $x \in X$.
Therefore $\bigcup X \subset X$.
Not bad. Sorry, I'll be using this post as evidence that I don't have to explain trivial things to you. :p

evinda said:
$4 \to 1$: Let $x \in \bigcup X $. Since $\bigcup X \subset X$ we have that $x \in X$.
But $x \in \bigcup X$ means that $\exists y \in X$ such that $x \in y$.
How could we continue?
You need to start with what you need to prove. $X$ is transitive if $x\in X$ and $y\in x$ imply that $y\in X$. So assume that $x\in X$ and $y\in x$. Then $y\in\bigcup X$ by the definition of generalized union, and since by assumption $\bigcup X\subseteq X$, we have $y\in X$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Not bad. Sorry, I'll be using this post as evidence that I don't have to explain trivial things to you. :p

(Giggle)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You need to start with what you need to prove. $X$ is transitive if $x\in X$ and $y\in x$ imply that $y\in X$. So assume that $x\in X$ and $y\in x$. Then $y\in\bigcup X$ by the definition of generalized union, and since by assumption $\bigcup X\subseteq X$, we have $y\in X$.

I understand... Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to Why is $X \subset \mathcal{P}X$ true for a transitive set $X$?

1. Why does the relation hold?

The relation holds because it is based on a logical and consistent set of principles. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science that allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions.

2. What is the significance of the relation?

The significance of the relation lies in its ability to describe and quantify the relationship between two or more variables. It allows us to understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

3. How is the relation determined?

The relation is determined through careful observation, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists use various mathematical and statistical methods to establish and validate the relationship between variables.

4. Can the relation change over time?

Yes, the relation can change over time as new data and evidence are discovered. As our understanding of a particular phenomenon deepens, the relation may be refined or even replaced by a more accurate one.

5. How does the relation impact scientific research?

The relation is a crucial tool in scientific research as it allows us to make hypotheses, test them, and draw conclusions. It provides a foundation for developing theories and models that help us understand and explain the natural world.