Why is Understanding Physics Important in Avoiding Epic Fails?

In summary, the woman tried to jump higher than her opponent and crashed into her head. She was knocked unconscious and has since suffered a concussion.
russ_watters
Mentor
Momentum Win!

http://failblog.org/2011/05/04/epic-fail-video-understanding-physics-fail/

...or why not joining PF is hazardous to your health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My buddy and I did something similar as kids. Except it involved him dropping and taking out my knees and me flipping once or twice to the ground.

I was bored and did the calculation. Assuming the guy weighs about twice as much as she does and they hit at the same speed, she flew off at around 66% faster than her original speed. GIGGLE.

It would be funny except she slammed her head and was knocked unconscious. That's serious.

zoobyshoe said:
It would be funny except she slammed her head and was knocked unconscious. That's serious.

No, still funny.

Not funny.

Signs and symptoms

Concussion can be associated with a variety of symptoms, which typically occur rapidly after the injury.[15] Early symptoms usually subside within days or weeks.[11] The number and type of symptoms a person suffers varies widely.[14]
[edit]Physical
Headache is the most common MTBI symptom.[19] Other symptoms include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, difficulty balancing,[19] or other problems with movement or sensation. Visual symptoms include light sensitivity,[31] seeing bright lights,[30] blurred vision,[11] and double vision.[32] Tinnitus, or a ringing in the ears, is also commonly reported.[11] In one in about seventy concussions, concussive convulsions occur, but these seizures that take place during or immediately after the concussion are not the same as post-traumatic seizures, and they, unlike post-traumatic seizures, are not in themselves predictive of post-traumatic epilepsy, which requires some form of structural brain damage, not just a momentary disruption in normal brain functioning.[33] Concussive convulsions are thought to result from temporary loss or inhibition of motor function, and are not associated either with epilepsy or with more serious structural damage. They are not associated with any particular sequelae and have the same high rate of favorable outcomes as concussions without convulsions.[34]
[edit]Cognitive and emotional
Cognitive symptoms include confusion, disorientation, and difficulty focusing attention. Loss of consciousness may occur but is not necessarily correlated with the severity of the concussion if it is brief.[16] Post-traumatic amnesia, in which the person cannot remember events leading up to the injury or after it, or both, is a hallmark of concussion.[19] Confusion, another concussion hallmark, may be present immediately or may develop over several minutes.[19] A patient may, for example, repeatedly ask the same questions,[35] be slow to respond to questions or directions, have a vacant stare, or have slurred[19] or incoherent speech.[36] Other MTBI symptoms include changes in sleeping patterns[11] and difficulty with reasoning,[32] concentrating, and performing everyday activities.[19]
Affective results of concussion include crankiness, loss of interest in favorite activities or items,[37] tearfulness,[5] and displays of emotion that are inappropriate to the situation.[36] Common symptoms in concussed children include restlessness, lethargy, and irritability.[38]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion

Comedy is when you fall on your head, get a concussion and knock yourself out. Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

zoobyshoe said:
No, I'm sure all the air in it made for a soft bounce.

Pengwuino said:
I was bored and did the calculation. Assuming the guy weighs about twice as much as she does and they hit at the same speed, she flew off at around 66% faster than her original speed. GIGGLE.
Wait, you did the momentum calculation and THEN giggled? Momentum calculations are never funny.

Surely, this one should be possible, at least (not to mention, a lot less dangerous).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLxKIZCvwc

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Wait, you did the momentum calculation and THEN giggled? Momentum calculations are never funny.

I giggled like a pro.

russ_watters said:
My momentum calculations always made my professors giggle.

zoobyshoe said:

It would have been funnier if she had landed on her ovaries, so she couldn't reproduce. Why would she think that's a good idea?

Related to Why is Understanding Physics Important in Avoiding Epic Fails?

1. What is the concept of "Understanding Physics Fail"?

The concept of "Understanding Physics Fail" refers to the difficulty in comprehending and applying the principles and laws of physics to real-life situations. It can also refer to the failure to understand the complex theories and concepts of physics.

2. Why is it important to understand physics?

Understanding physics is essential for many reasons. It helps us to understand the natural world around us and how it works. It also forms the basis for many technological advancements and innovations that improve our daily lives. Additionally, having a strong foundation in physics is necessary for pursuing careers in science, engineering, and many other fields.

3. What are some common reasons for struggling with understanding physics?

There are various reasons why someone may struggle with understanding physics. Some common reasons include a lack of prior knowledge or background in the subject, inadequate study habits, and difficulty grasping abstract concepts. Additionally, the way physics is taught and the teaching methods used can also play a role in a student's understanding and success in the subject.

4. How can one improve their understanding of physics?

Improving one's understanding of physics requires a combination of effort, practice, and effective study techniques. It is essential to have a strong foundation in basic concepts and principles before moving on to more complex topics. Students can also benefit from seeking help from teachers, tutors, or peers, and actively engaging in problem-solving and critical thinking activities.

5. What are some practical applications of physics in everyday life?

Physics has countless practical applications in our daily lives. It is involved in everything from the functioning of electronic devices and technology to transportation and communication systems. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting natural phenomena such as weather patterns and the movement of celestial bodies. Additionally, physics principles are used in the development of medical equipment and treatments, making it an essential aspect of healthcare.