Why is the resolution of TEMs and SEMs not smaller?

In summary, the practical resolutions of TEMs and SEMs are significantly lower than predicted by the Rayleigh Criterion due to factors such as the use of magnetic lenses which suffer from spherical aberration and astigmatism. However, there has been progress in correcting for these issues.
ccrook
I was wondering if someone could offer an explanation as to why TEMs and SEMs have practical resolutions several orders of magnitude less than what is predicted by the Rayleigh Criterion. This of course comes from my own calculations of the Rayleigh Criterion assuming an electron is accelerated by 300kV and 10 kV field respectively and correcting for relativity in the electron's speed. In the TEM case, I found the electron wavelength to be approximately 2e-12 m and the SEM 1.2e-11 m, which are much smaller than 0.5 angstrom and 50-100 nm observed. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps page 10 here ? Abbe's equation ##\ d = 0.61 \lambda/{\rm NA}\ ##. The numerical aperture of the objective comes in too.

ccrook said:
I was wondering if someone could offer an explanation as to why TEMs and SEMs have practical resolutions several orders of magnitude less than what is predicted by the Rayleigh Criterion. This of course comes from my own calculations of the Rayleigh Criterion assuming an electron is accelerated by 300kV and 10 kV field respectively and correcting for relativity in the electron's speed. In the TEM case, I found the electron wavelength to be approximately 2e-12 m and the SEM 1.2e-11 m, which are much smaller than 0.5 angstrom and 50-100 nm observed. Thank you!

One reason is that the magnetic lenses used suffer from large amounts of spherical aberration and astigmatism. There has been some good progress:

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/367/1903/3637
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Electron_Aberration-Corrected_Microscope

Related to Why is the resolution of TEMs and SEMs not smaller?

1. Why can't the resolution of TEMs and SEMs be infinitely small?

The resolution of TEMs and SEMs is limited by the wavelength of the electrons used in the imaging process. As the wavelength of electrons decreases, it becomes increasingly difficult to accurately focus and manipulate them, resulting in a limit to the resolution that can be achieved.

2. What is the role of the electron source in determining the resolution of TEMs and SEMs?

The electron source plays a crucial role in determining the resolution of TEMs and SEMs. The size and quality of the electron source directly affect the size of the electron beam, which in turn determines the resolution of the imaging process.

3. How does the sample preparation affect the resolution of TEMs and SEMs?

The sample preparation is a critical factor in achieving high resolution in TEMs and SEMs. Any imperfections or distortions in the sample can affect the accuracy of the imaging process, resulting in a decrease in resolution. Therefore, proper sample preparation techniques must be employed to achieve the best possible resolution.

4. Can the resolution of TEMs and SEMs be improved through technological advancements?

Yes, the resolution of TEMs and SEMs can be improved through technological advancements. For example, the development of aberration correctors and advanced electron sources have significantly improved the resolution capabilities of these instruments. However, there will always be a limit to the resolution that can be achieved due to the physical limitations of the electron beam.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of high-resolution imaging in TEMs and SEMs?

Yes, there are limitations to the use of high-resolution imaging in TEMs and SEMs. High-resolution imaging requires a high vacuum environment, which may not be suitable for some samples. Additionally, the high energy of the electron beam can damage sensitive samples, limiting the types of samples that can be imaged at high resolution.