Why is the non-zero value of spatial curvature +/- 1?

In summary, the radius of curvature is a function of the scale factor and is dependent on the curvature constant.
sunrah
Going from the Newtonian to relativistic version of Friedmann's equation we use the substitution
[itex]kc^{2} = -\frac{2U}{x^{2}}[/itex]

The derivation considers the equation of motion of a particle with classic Newtonian dynamics. I can sought of see that if space is flat the radius of curvature will be infinite, so spatial curvature will vanish, but why exactly is |k| = 1 when space is not flat ?

Also I'm guessing that k is actually a ratio of something over that things absolute value, e.g.
[itex]k = \frac{thing}{\|thing\|}[/itex], because why else would it be +/- 1 or 0?

Space news on Phys.org
sunrah said:
but why exactly is |k| = 1 when space is not flat ?
It's purely a convention. By this convention, when [itex]k = \pm 1[/itex], the scale factor is the radius of curvature.

An alternative convention is to set the scale factor equal to 1 today. With this convention, the curvature parameter can take on any value, and is proportional to the inverse of the radius of curvature squared.

Thanks, do you know where I can learn more about his? The introductory cosmology books just state this without justifying it and that bugs me.

So the radius of curvature is a function of the scale factor, but why? That's what I'd like to know. It isn't obvious to me. Thanks

sunrah said:
So the radius of curvature is a function of the scale factor, but why? That's what I'd like to know. It isn't obvious to me. Thanks
If the universe is described by a sphere, then the radius of curvature is the radius of the sphere. If you increase the distances between every two objects by a factor of two, you increase the radius of the sphere by a factor of two, and therefore increase the radius of curvature by a factor of two.

That only works for a finite universe. But, then again, Einstein strongly favored that option having realized his field equations are not well behaved in the presence of infinities.

sunrah said:
So the radius of curvature is a function of the scale factor, but why?
Actually, it is a function of the curvature constant [itex]\Omega_k= 1-\Omega_{total}[/itex]. The scale factor is just what it says, something to scale the effect of all the Omegas to earlier times. For a small positive curvature (i.e. a small negative curvature constant, unfortunately, due to legacy) the radius of spatial curvature is [itex]R_k \approx R_{Hubble}/\sqrt{\Omega_{total} - 1}[/itex]. For spatially flat it blows up to infinity and for a spatially open universe it comes out as an imaginary number.

Related to Why is the non-zero value of spatial curvature +/- 1?

1. Why is the non-zero value of spatial curvature +/- 1?

The non-zero value of spatial curvature refers to the curvature of space at any given point in the universe. This value can be positive or negative, with a magnitude of 1 being the most commonly observed. This value is determined by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and is a key factor in understanding the overall geometry and expansion of the universe.

2. How is the value of spatial curvature determined?

The value of spatial curvature is determined through various observational and theoretical methods, such as measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, observing the large-scale structure of the universe, and using mathematical models of the universe's evolution. These methods allow scientists to infer the overall curvature and geometry of the universe.

3. What does a positive or negative value of spatial curvature indicate?

A positive value of spatial curvature indicates a closed universe, where space curves back on itself and is finite in size. On the other hand, a negative value of spatial curvature indicates an open universe, where space is infinite and expands indefinitely. These values also have implications for the ultimate fate of the universe.

4. How does the value of spatial curvature affect the expansion of the universe?

The value of spatial curvature is a key factor in determining the overall expansion of the universe. A positive value of spatial curvature would result in a universe that eventually stops expanding and collapses in on itself, while a negative value would result in a universe that expands forever. The value of spatial curvature also plays a role in the rate of expansion, with a higher magnitude resulting in a slower expansion.

5. Is the value of spatial curvature constant or can it change over time?

The value of spatial curvature is not a constant and can change over time. This is due to the fact that the distribution of matter and energy in the universe is not uniform and can change over time. This can result in changes in the overall curvature and geometry of the universe, affecting its expansion and ultimate fate.