Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell so low?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the expected and calculated values for the Lorentz force in Ansys. The formula for calculating the force is F=B*I*l, but the program consistently produces results that are significantly lower than expected. The speaker has tried different models and the results remain consistent. They ask for help in identifying the cause of this issue.
densaface
Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys so low? According to the formula F=B*I*l, it is supposed to be at least 1000 times higher. The model is really simple: a magnetically conductive plate in a static magnetic field inducts the magnetic field from the surrounding space, which makes its own magnetic field dozens of times stronger than in the surrounding vacuum (which is perfectly logical) - around 10 mT. A 10 A electric current runs perpendicular to this magnetic field in the plate. According to the formula, F=B*I*l=10-2*10*1=0.1 N, but the program produces results in the range of 10-4 N for the Lorentz force. I have tried both 3D and 2D models and the result is nearly identical. What am I missing?

p.s. I can attach my project file if it helps

Engineering news on Phys.org
just in case the project archive

Attachments

• 2d_ribbon_tmp.zip
    18 KB · Views: 322
Hello, did you find the answer to this? I have the same problem...
Regards
Mario

Related to Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell so low?

1. Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell lower than expected?

The Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell may appear lower than expected due to various reasons, such as:

• The simulation is not set up correctly, leading to inaccurate results.
  • The material properties used in the simulation do not accurately represent the real-world material.
  • The simulation is not capturing all the necessary physical phenomena, such as eddy currents, skin effect, or hysteresis.
  • The mesh used in the simulation is not refined enough to capture the fine details of the electromagnetic field.

2. Can the results of the Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell be trusted?

Yes, the results of the Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell can be trusted if the simulation is set up correctly and all the necessary physical phenomena are taken into account. It is essential to verify the results with experimental data or other mathematical models to ensure accuracy.

3. How can I improve the accuracy of the Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell?

To improve the accuracy of the Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell, you can try the following:

• Ensure that the simulation is set up correctly, with all the necessary parameters and boundary conditions included.
  • Use material properties that accurately represent the real-world material.
  • Include all the necessary physical phenomena, such as eddy currents, skin effect, or hysteresis, in the simulation.
  • Refine the mesh to capture the fine details of the electromagnetic field.

4. Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell different from other software?

The Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell may differ from other software due to various factors, such as:

• The underlying algorithms and numerical methods used in the software may differ, leading to different results.
  • The material properties and physical phenomena considered in the simulation may vary.
  • There may be differences in the way the software handles boundary conditions and meshing.

5. Can the Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell be used for all types of electromagnetic systems?

The Lorentz force calculation in Ansys Maxwell can be used for a wide range of electromagnetic systems, but it may not be suitable for all cases. It is essential to understand the limitations of the software and verify the results with experimental data or other mathematical models to ensure accuracy.