Why is the direction in which the D.C. motor turns reversed here?

In summary, the direction of a D.C. motor reverses due to the principle of electromagnetic induction, and can be reversed by changing the polarity of the power supply, swapping the connections of the motor's windings, or using a reversing switch or circuit. The direction of a D.C. motor can be controlled through various methods, including motor drivers and built-in mechanisms. It is also possible to reverse the motor's direction without rewiring. Reversed direction D.C. motors are commonly used in applications such as robotics, electric vehicles, and home appliances.
ellieee
Homework Statement
I tried Fleming left hand rule and no matter what doesn't AB move downwards?
Relevant Equations
nil
?hash=6d346eced0b2fc4bd71f50774e41825c.jpg

CamScanner 06-08-2021 13.56.jpg

in my worksheet, AB turns in clockwise direction , while in my textbook, it turns in the anti clockwise direction.
so may I know why is this the case?

Attachments

• 16238118805705338160021237279143.jpg
    16238118805705338160021237279143.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does it say it turns clockwise?

vela said:
Where does it say it turns clockwise?
in fig 6.2, A moves upwards while D moves downwards so doesn't it mean clockwise?

I don't see anything in the figure which suggests A is moving upward and D is moving downward.

Related to Why is the direction in which the D.C. motor turns reversed here?

1. Why does the D.C. motor turn in the opposite direction here?

The direction in which a D.C. motor turns is determined by the direction of the current flow in its windings. In this case, the current flow may have been reversed due to a change in the circuit or the polarity of the power source.

2. Can the direction of a D.C. motor be changed?

Yes, the direction of a D.C. motor can be changed by reversing the polarity of the power source or by changing the connection of the motor's windings.

3. What could cause a D.C. motor to suddenly start turning in the opposite direction?

There could be a number of reasons for this, such as a change in the circuit, a faulty connection, or a malfunctioning switch. It is important to check all components of the motor and circuit to determine the cause.

4. Is it possible to control the direction of a D.C. motor?

Yes, the direction of a D.C. motor can be controlled by using a motor controller or by using a switch to change the polarity of the power source.

5. Could a D.C. motor turning in the wrong direction damage the motor?

Yes, a D.C. motor turning in the wrong direction could cause damage to the motor if it is not designed to rotate in that direction. It is important to ensure that the motor is wired correctly and that the direction of rotation is compatible with its design.