Why is quantum spacetime necessarily random?

In summary, the discussion centers around whether or not spacetime has quantum properties and if quantum mechanics can explain its behavior. Some argue that spacetime must have quantum properties because matter affects it, while others believe that this is still an open question and that there may be other explanations for the behavior of spacetime. Ultimately, the idea of a quantum description of spacetime is still speculative and there is no experimental evidence to support it at this time.
flufffrost
I was just wondering. I have been looking all over for an answer to this question but I can't seem to find any. I read a biography about Einstein recently and it said that when quantum mechanics first came about he said (something like): "I will not deny its usefulness, only the conclusions people draw from it. God does not play dice with the world." Another time he said something like, "to a man that does not understand lightning, determining just where it will strike is impossible, he would only be able to observe and estimate the probability of it striking one place or another." Can't this apply to quantum mechanics? Or is there some way to prove that what happens at the quantum level is completely random? Couldn't we just be observing the effects of some force we do not know about and cannot describe?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible, but there are theorems restricting the form of the underlying theory. Its variables would have to be non-local, unobservable, or have some other undesirable property. There's also no experimental evidence that suggests that we might need such a theory.

The thread title asked about spacetime, but your post is about something else entirely. Spacetime must have quantum properties because we know that matter changes the properties of spacetime, and that matter isn't classical.

Fredrik said:
Spacetime must have quantum properties because we know that matter changes the properties of spacetime, and that matter isn't classical.

I disagree. It is not known that spacetime can exist in a superposition of different states just because this is true for matter. That would be a consequence of a theory of quantum gravity, and therefore speculation at the moment.

Nothing is known about how the quantum properties of matter affect gravity, since it is experimentally impossible to check it at this moment. So I think it is a completely open question.

Torquil

torquil said:
It is not known that spacetime can exist in a superposition of different states just because this is true for matter.
I didn't say anything that specific, but you're right. The correct conclusion isn't that we need a quantum description of space and time, it's that GR can't be right. I do however think that this is an exellent reason to think that spacetime isn't classical.

This is similar to a different thread about 'entangling' spacetime. The best answer is that no current definiton of spacetime is one which is useful in answering this question. Frederik and torquil are making this point as well, by way of the nature of their interaction on this point.

I would add: Frederik: Spacetime may be neither Classical NOR Quantum. There's no guarantee that quantum-gravity will do more than open new questions on THAT particular topic. I respect the predictions made, but they are pure guesses.

Related to Why is quantum spacetime necessarily random?

1. Why is quantum spacetime considered random?

Quantum spacetime is considered random because at the quantum level, particles and energy behave in unpredictable ways. This is due to the principles of quantum mechanics, which state that particles can exist in multiple states at once and their behavior cannot be precisely determined.

2. How does randomness play a role in quantum spacetime?

The randomness in quantum spacetime is a fundamental aspect of the universe. It is believed that at the smallest level, spacetime is made up of tiny particles and energy fluctuations that constantly appear and disappear, creating a chaotic and unpredictable environment.

3. Can randomness be explained by underlying hidden variables?

There have been attempts to explain the apparent randomness in quantum spacetime by proposing hidden variables that govern the behavior of particles. However, these theories have not been able to fully explain the observations and are still widely debated among scientists.

4. How does randomness in quantum spacetime affect our understanding of the universe?

The randomness in quantum spacetime challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect. It also has implications for fields such as cosmology and quantum computing, as well as our understanding of the origins of the universe.

5. Is it possible to control or manipulate the randomness in quantum spacetime?

Currently, it is not possible to control or manipulate the randomness in quantum spacetime. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies and theories that may one day allow us to understand and potentially control this randomness.