Why is psi equal to psi' in vector expressions in QM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of vector expressions and Pauli spin matrices in a book. The book states that the vector expression for {\bf{M}} is equal to a summation involving the spin states and the annihilation operator. However, the person does not understand why {\psi} is equal to {\psi'} since the vector {\bf{m}} is not a diagonal matrix. It is explained that {\psi} and {\psi'} represent different states, and the operator {\bf{m}} acts only on the spin states. The person expresses their gratitude for the explanation.
Niles
Hi guys

I am reading a book, where they use vector expressions a lot. In it they write

[tex]
{\bf{M}} = \sum\limits_{\psi ,\psi ',\sigma ,\sigma '} {\left\langle {\psi '} \right|\left\langle {\sigma '} \right|{\bf{m}}\left| \sigma \right\rangle \left| \psi \right\rangle a_{\psi ',\sigma '}^\dag a{}_{\psi ,\sigma }}
[/tex]

where m={t1, t2, t3} is the vector containing the three Pauli spin matrices t1, t2, t3 and a is the annihilation operator. They say this is equal to

[tex]
{\bf{M}} = \frac{\hbar }{2}\sum\limits_{\psi ,\sigma ,\sigma '} {\left\langle {\sigma '} \right|\left( {t_1 ,t_2 ,t_3 } \right)\left| \sigma \right\rangle a_{\psi ,\sigma '}^\dag a{}_{\psi ,\sigma }}
[/tex]

I cannot see why they equal psi = psi', since m is a vector, not a diagonal matrix. What are they doing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without having more details about what definitions the book is using, it appears that in the expression

[tex]{\left\langle {\psi'} \right|\left\langle {\sigma'} \right|{\mathbf{m}}\left| \sigma \right\rangle \left| \psi \right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] is the state describing the spatial physics, while [tex]|\sigma\rangle[/tex] is an internal spin state. If this is true, these states lie in different Hilbert spaces. Furthermore, the operator [tex]\mathbf{m}[/tex] acts only on the spin states, not [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex]. So we can rearrange

[tex]{\left\langle {\psi'} | \psi \right\rangle\left\langle {\sigma'} \right|{\mathbf{m}}\left| \sigma \right\rangle .[/tex]

Ah, of course... I should have known that. I will not forget it. Thanks, you have helped me a lot today. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Related to Why is psi equal to psi' in vector expressions in QM?

1. What are vector expressions in QM?

Vector expressions in QM refer to mathematical expressions that involve vectors and operators to describe the physical properties and behavior of quantum systems. These expressions are used to represent the state of a system and to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of measurements.

2. How are vector expressions used in QM?

Vector expressions are used in QM to describe the quantum states of a system, which can be represented as vectors in a mathematical space. These expressions are also used to calculate the expectation values and probabilities of different measurements of a system.

3. What is a vector space in QM?

A vector space in QM is a mathematical space in which the state of a quantum system can be represented as a vector. This space is defined by a set of basis vectors and operators, which act on the vectors to describe the physical properties and behavior of the system.

4. Can vector expressions be used to solve problems in QM?

Yes, vector expressions are an essential tool for solving problems in QM. They allow us to describe and manipulate the quantum states of a system, and to calculate properties and probabilities of the system's behavior.

5. How do vector expressions differ from classical expressions?

Vector expressions in QM differ from classical expressions in that they take into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and uncertainty. They also involve complex numbers and operators, rather than just real numbers and functions, to describe the behavior of quantum systems.