Why is my pressure regulator drifting down?

In summary, the conversation discusses an odd behavior with a pressure regulator where the downstream pressure begins to decline after remaining stable for a few hours. The pressure should be static, but the coworker suggests that condensate may be accumulating and causing the vent port to become clogged. The regulator is located in an outdoor environment and may be affected by thermal contraction or cold gas upstream. The issue may also be due to a fault with the downstream gauge or transducer, which can be tested. The gas in question is gaseous nitrogen (GN2).
steves1080
I have a self-venting single-stage pressure-reducing regulator that takes ~2500 psig and steps it down to ~1500 psig (here is a link with the specific details of the hardware if interested: http://www.items.se/Dokument/44-1300_10061107.PDF). I experienced some odd behavior recently where the pressure transducer in the downstream process piping began a steady decline at ~50 psi/hour after remaining stable for ~3 hours. This pressure should be stable since the GN2 sitting in this line should be static (nothing is actually flowing during this time). I cannot seem to explain why this is occurring. Upstream of the regulator, pressure is being supplied to multiple other locations where it does continuously flow. Any insight as to what is occurring would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A fellow coworker seems to think that condensate is accumulating and causing the vent port to become clogged, but that would only sort of make sense to me if the outlet pressure was rising. This reg is located in an enclosed panel in an outdoor environment. It is not uncommon for there to be condensation on the pipes in this panel.

It's air or steam or what?

It's GN2

steves1080 said:
It's GN2
Gaseous Nitrogen I presume.

Correct

I would check your gas is warm before getting to the regulator. It might be thermal contraction as the gas cools the regulator - or cold gas upstream is cooling the regulator via the pipes.

Wouldn't worry about water (ice) inside as nitrogen gas contains very little of it.

How do you know that it is not a fault with the downstream gauge or transducer ?
I have seen that sort of thing happen when a gauge leaks and builds up pressure on the back of the gauge.
Can you exchange test the gauge ?

Related to Why is my pressure regulator drifting down?

1. Why does my pressure regulator keep drifting down?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a leak in the system, a faulty regulator, or incorrect settings. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause to fix the issue.

2. How can I prevent my pressure regulator from drifting down?

Regular maintenance and calibration of the regulator is key to preventing drift. It is also important to ensure that the regulator is properly installed and that there are no external factors affecting its performance.

3. Can changes in temperature cause my pressure regulator to drift down?

Yes, changes in temperature can affect the performance of pressure regulators. As temperature increases, the gas molecules inside the regulator may expand, leading to a decrease in pressure. This can be mitigated by using a temperature-compensated regulator or by making adjustments to the regulator settings.

4. Is it normal for pressure regulators to drift down over time?

Some amount of drift is normal in pressure regulators, especially with age and use. However, excessive drift could indicate a problem with the regulator or the system it is regulating. Regular monitoring and maintenance can help identify and address any issues.

5. Can a clogged filter cause my pressure regulator to drift down?

Yes, a clogged filter can cause a pressure regulator to drift down. This is because it restricts the flow of gas, which can result in a decrease in pressure. Regularly replacing or cleaning filters can help prevent this issue.