Why is my custom microwave transformer producing inconsistent voltage?

In summary, the speaker attempted to modify a microwave transformer by wrapping their own secondary coil, but encountered issues with voltage readings. After testing and rewinding the coil, they discovered that the primary coil was getting hot while the secondary coil remained cold. They suspect a shorted turn in the coil and plan to check it. However, they later realized that the issue was due to enamel coated wire and have since corrected it.
RED119
So I was attempting to modify a microwave transformer by wrapping my own secondary coil. The first coil was standard from the microwave, around 16 gauge wire, 100 turns, so I was wrapping my coil with around a 16 gauge wire, I put it together, put a weight on the transformer to keep it together and tested it with my voltmeter and it read around 176 VAC... then I kept winding and tried again but only got .123 VAC, I found this odd so I checked the primary coil, it was getting 120 VAC, it was making the buzzing that transformers do (its 60Hz by the way), when I measured the primary coil it got around 180 VAC, the primary coil was getting hot while the secondary coil I wrapped was cold... I honestly have no idea what is going on or what I did but this is odd stuff... or maybe I am just naive. Here are some pictures to help with analysis:
IMAG0281.jpg
IMAG0285.jpg
IMAG0291.jpg
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0288.jpg
IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg
IMAG0287.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
*primary coil is not measuring 180VAC, it around .320VAC (essentially 0)

Shorted turn somewhere?

CWatters said:
Shorted turn somewhere?
I don't think so since I re-wrapped the coil with new wire after it happened the first time, but I still think its worth checking, is there an easy way to check if a turn shorted? and should I check both coils?

the secondary coil is putting out .142 then going up to .180 then back down to around .142 and back up again

:oops: enamel coated wire... forgot to sand off the enamel of the new end... my bad

Likes CWatters and nsaspook

Related to Why is my custom microwave transformer producing inconsistent voltage?

What is a custom transformer?

A custom transformer is a device used in electronics to convert voltage and/or current levels. It is designed and built to meet specific requirements and specifications, unlike standard transformers that are mass-produced.

What are some common issues with custom transformers?

Some common issues with custom transformers include overheating, short circuits, and incorrect voltage or current output. These issues can be caused by design flaws, poor construction, or improper use of the transformer.

How can I prevent issues with my custom transformer?

To prevent issues with a custom transformer, it is important to properly design and construct it using high-quality materials. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify and prevent potential problems. It is also important to use the transformer according to its intended purpose and specifications.

What should I do if my custom transformer is not functioning properly?

If your custom transformer is not functioning properly, you should first check for any obvious signs of damage or malfunction. If there are no visible issues, you may need to consult the manufacturer or a professional for further troubleshooting and repairs.

Can I make my own custom transformer?

While it is possible to make your own custom transformer, it is a complex process that requires a thorough understanding of electronics and transformer design. It is generally recommended to consult a professional or purchase a pre-made custom transformer to ensure safety and proper functioning.